Fuel containers for generator?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
workinwifdakids

Fuel containers for generator?

Post by workinwifdakids »

I'm getting a generator that runs on standard automotive fuel and would like to store some fuel. I live in a suburban residential neighborhood so we're a no-go on The Gun Counter's initial recommendation of a 3,500 gallon underground military refueling bladder. :)

All other recommendations welcome.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Netpackrat

Re: Fuel containers for generator?

Post by Netpackrat »

Didn't we already do this? Anyway, I hope you are planning on storing it in an outbuilding. Jerry cans are convenient, if a little small. I think last time we had this discussion, I suggested having an old beater pickup truck with an additional long range fuel tank, with maybe a transfer tank in the bed. Preferably covered by a shell, to keep it out of sight.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Found the earlier thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21473
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

I normally store generator gas in 5-gallon cans, and I have several of them, enough for about four days of power outage.. Storing gasoline is problematic, especially the ethanol blends. So, all my small engines run on non-ethanol gasoline. Go to pure gas dot org for a station near you. Then, put a little sta-bil in each five gallon container.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Or Pri-G.

And you might want to check your homeowner's fire insurance policy to see what the liability is for flammable liquids stored contrary to code.
(A polite "This friend of mine is thinking of..." query to a fire or code enforcement person will yield the expected results.)
The guy out your way who dug a bunker in under his garage slab should be a cautionary tale.
100 gallons of above-grade potential explosive in any sort of proximity to occupied dwellings unless you're bombproof with triple-redundant safety features isn't really a very good idea. At which point it would probably be found easier to make do with a couple of jerrycans stored at the back of the lot, until you can save enough for a replacement diesel gennie, which features non-exploding fuel.

If you haven't bought the gasoline generator yet, maybe reconsider that purchase, and save a headache...
Last edited by Aesop on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

a suggestion:

Get one of those Rubbermaid low storage sheds, and buy a bunch of cheap 5 gallon cans. Now here's the sneaky part: You're only going to keep 10 gallons or so on hand, BUT when you hear about a major storm, etc, you go and fill up the rest of the cans. Use the 10 gallons you stored up first. After the crisis passes, you treat another ten gallons for storage, and dump the rest into your car.

The idea is that the real long term situations are mostly gonna be weather related, and those generally will have some forewarning.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

HTRN wrote:The idea is that the real long term situations are mostly gonna be weather related, and those generally will have some forewarning.
Maybe in NY state.
Not so much in the southernmost county of one of the sunniest states in the nation.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
BDK

Post by BDK »

So, solar/wind might make more sense... As I realized that NG won't work any better...

Any chance of getting a propane tank installed, and running your usual home stuff off it?

Quite expensive, I realize, but I'm not really sure what else to suggest,
Unless you are very dedicated to keeping your gasoline rotated out.

NPRs idea of a beater truck with an extended range fuel tank might be the best option - along w using it to fill your car from time to time to rotate the fuel in and out...
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

If you're in an area where winter is more than a word for cooler weather, propane is an alternative. The 250 gallon tank in the back/side yard is a pretty handy reserve for a propane-powered 5k generator. I converted my 5000w for $175; I also keep a gasoline 3500w and 10 gallons of rotating fresh gas around for summer mower/winter snowthrower. When the seasons change so does the gas formula so I just burn the older supply in the truck/car and lay in the new season's supply.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

workinwifdakids wrote:...I live in a suburban residential neighborhood...
As a reminder, unless there's a dreaded HOA involved - in which case even worse, the number of permits in workin's 'hood that would be issued for an outside propane tank not hand portable for use on a BBQ grill would likely be somewhere around the number of thumbs on your third hand.
Think of stuff that would fly in the side or back yard of the Brady Bunch home more so than, say, the Douglas residence in Green Acres.
Not least of which because there's doubtless a neighborhood network of utility gas company NG pipes within 50' or so.