Eagle 5 gal safety gas can at Woot

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Rich Jordan

Eagle 5 gal safety gas can at Woot

Post by Rich Jordan »

At Woot, $27.99 each, $5 shipping per order.

Not NATO or MFPs but still decent for what they are.
rightisright

Re: Eagle 5 gal safety gas can at Woot

Post by rightisright »

Thanks for the heads up. In for 3.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I hate those things with a passion. The only thing they have going for them, is that they are OSHA compliant. If you do not need OSHA complaint cans for business purposes, you do not want those. Get the NATO cans instead.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

British Atlantic sells 5 gallon jerry cans.

Don't use them for gas, because that is bad and they say not to.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Greg

Post by Greg »

It's kind of a shame when you have to directly violate Federal law in order to not set yourself on fire.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Netpackrat wrote:I hate those things with a passion. The only thing they have going for them, is that they are OSHA compliant. If you do not need OSHA complaint cans for business purposes, you do not want those. Get the NATO cans instead.
They are fine for fueling generators, compressors, power-washers, etc. Which is what I use them for. I do have to show employees to open the spout before lifting up to fuel or else built-up pressure will spray gas all over the machine. I can imagine they suck for refueling a car.

Then there's that OSHA thing...
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

http://deutscheoptik.com/NATO-20-Liter- ... -FOUR.html

I bought one of their 10L cans and can verify that the manufacture is exactly the same as my pre-ban Wedco cans (except for the green color and "not for fuel use" markings), and the nozzles interchange.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

I use Midwest 5 or 6 gal plastic cans. I modify them with real spouts and snap vents.

You can also modify the steel jerry cans to have a vent. Use a high-pressure metal clamp-in tire valve.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Termite wrote:I use Midwest 5 or 6 gal plastic cans. I modify them with real spouts and snap vents.
I probably mentioned it before, but my most recent trip to the ER ('08 or '09) was courtesy of a plastic fuel can, which resulted in learning about the joy that is having an eye hooked up to their flushing apparatus. I no longer own any plastic fuel cans, and will not have them around.
You can also modify the steel jerry cans to have a vent. Use a high-pressure metal clamp-in tire valve.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/jerr ... a-1025877/

Of course, the above linked mod is kind of moot these days, since Blitz went out of business.

Termite

Post by Termite »

Netpackrat wrote: I no longer own any plastic fuel cans, and will not have them around.
Del,
I suspect our needs are a bit different. If I were hauling fuel on a Jeep out into the Alaskan bush, I wouldn't use "standard" plastic cans either. Although the Rotopax fuel packs work quite well(but are pricey), and are really tough. But order the vented yellow spout, the CARB compliant spout is crap.

For general purpose home/farm storage of gasoline/kerosene/diesel, I find the Midwest cans work quite well with aftermarket spouts and adding a vent.

Supposedly these new jerry cans are self-venting and work well. I'm probably buy one soon to test, and when I do, I'll report my findings.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."