Photo essay: The Soldier's Load

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Aesop

Photo essay: The Soldier's Load

Post by Aesop »

From The Telegraph in UK, a brilliant 13-panel photo essay of the evolution of the troopie packing too much $#!^ in their kit, from 1066 to 2014.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
PawPaw

Re: Photo essay: The Soldier's Load

Post by PawPaw »

Which is why I got into tanks. Didn't have to carry all that crap.

However, when I was foot-slogging, we had basically two loads. The whole load, which we carried infrequently, and the light-to-fight that we carried when contact was imminent. As an early '70s grunt, I carried my rifle, four mags, a belt for the pig, two canteens a poncho, a compass, a map, grease pencils, extra socks, a toothbrush, a razor, and a C-ration. Of course, the steel pot and a soft cap. Everything else got left in the trains.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Interesting that the WWI British soldier carried what was essentially a medieval mace, a spiked trench club. And the lance stayed on as the bayonet.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
randy

Post by randy »

Neat! Thanks

Did my heart good to see the Browning pistol in the Helmland Province photo :D
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".