Cosmoline Removal From Accessories

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
skb12172

Cosmoline Removal From Accessories

Post by skb12172 »

No, really. I don't have a problem. I can stop anytime I want…Collecting Mosins, that is.

I just bought a couple more. As is my habit, I'd much rather pay the local gunsmith $25 to degrease it than fool with it myself. My question is about the ammo bag, sling, oil can, etc that are also cosmo-laden.

Should I fill up a five gallon bucket with dawn and water, then get a brush and have at it?

Is there a better way?

Fire Away!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
rightisright

Re: Cosmoline Removal From Accessories

Post by rightisright »

Clean them? Mine are in a heap somewhere in my basement. :lol:

I suppose you could boil the ammo pouch and the sling. But that would harden the leather parts. You could try a citrus based degreaser like Zep.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Unless you feel comfortable with using flammables, try Simple Green.

No matter what, you'll be working a long time.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Varsol. Or whatever the present-day equivalent might be.

This guy uses mineral spirits, which might the the modern day equivalient. YouTube Video.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

According to this LINK mineral spirits are not quite the same as varsol.

I think I remember Denis saying something about white spirit (which the above link says is varsol) and people not being able to find it here.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Cool. Any specific brand names you recommend?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

skb12172 wrote:Cool. Any specific brand names you recommend?
I don't believe that boiling water has brand names. Any brand of water will do.

For mineral spirits, just go to a good hardware store and tell them you need some mineral spirits. They'll sell you a quart.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

CByrneIV wrote:Boiling water with a nonvolatile degreaser and detergent. Full immersion in said boiling water.

It won't hurt any of the metal or cloth bits.

For plastic bits... yeah, good luck.
Um...
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

CByrneIV wrote:Borax, washing soda (sodium carbonate), laundry detergent, TSP, dishwashing liquid, simple green, oil eater, ZEP citrus, purple power etc...

Also, heated ultrasonic cleaners work well for this, using slightly more volatile solvents. You still need to do the hard boil to get the big caked on stuff off, but for the detail work ultrasonic cleaners work REALLY well.

Most industrial "non VOC" degreasers (challenger, CRC hydroforce etc...) are potassium hydroxide based, and they work VERY well, but they do require some care in handling for your skin etc... not like the nastier solvent based cleaners, just some care.

Very interesting piece on degreasers:

http://www.wastemin.com/discuss/index.p ... 781CtxdVz4
That is very interesting. We used Ramsey Power Bolt at work, but they discontinued the product. The replacement, called Spitfire (Diversey made both), doesn't work as well and is very expensive. I am a fan of Brakleen non-chlor brake cleaner, but not in such applications. For stuff brought into the shop, we just put it in the solvent tank/parts washer, which has Safety-Kleen in it.

I am not a fan of Simple Green. Never thought it worked all that well, and I cannot abide the smell.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

I agree on the nasty throat clogging smell of Stinky Green. Purple Power has worked well for me in my parts washer and smells a hell of a lot better.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.