Had a battery go splodey in a flashlight

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
rightisright

Had a battery go splodey in a flashlight

Post by rightisright »

I just tried to fire up my Nitecore EA4W to no avail.

I took the tail cap off, three batteries came out but this guy didn't want to:
nitecore.jpg
It's a Rayovac AA that leaked rather heavily and the battery is locked in place. The bezel on this light does not come off so I am hesitant to use a baking soda/water slurry to remove the acid. It's a decent $60 light, so before I go caveman on it does anyone have any other ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Highspeed

Re: Had a battery go slodey in a flashlight

Post by Highspeed »

There should be a little clearance between the end of the battery and the case, provided by the contact it rests on. Make a tool to hook it out.

A length of wire coathanger bent at 90 degrees, with the hooked part slimmed down with a file should get you good to go.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
rightisright

Re: Had a battery go splodey in a flashlight

Post by rightisright »

Tried that w. a beefed up dental-style hook. I got some pretty good leverage but that thing is stuck!
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Have you tried running a wood screw down into it, and using that to pull it out? I've had moderate success with that method in the past.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

WD-40 to the rescue. I sprayed it in w. the flashlight held bulb up and let it sit for a few minutes. It didn't dissolve the acid, but lubed up the binding enough for the bulked up dental pick to remove the battery. Now I will mix up a paste of baking soda and scrub the crap off w. an old toothbrush while holding the light upside down.

And this is why I always keep at least 2 flashlights in all my vehicles.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

rightisright wrote:WD-40 to the rescue. I sprayed it in w. the flashlight held bulb up and let it sit for a few minutes. It didn't dissolve the acid, but lubed up the binding enough for the bulked up dental pick to remove the battery. Now I will mix up a paste of baking soda and scrub the crap off w. an old toothbrush while holding the light upside down.

And this is why I always keep at least 2 flashlights in all my vehicles.
AH YES, WD-40, the Duct-Tape of the lubricant world!!! LOL!! :lol: :lol: And yes, it DOES work in MANY situations when you might not have though it would!! It's a "Wonder Drug" of the metallic world!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Dinochrome One

Post by Dinochrome One »

Rayovac batteries are well-known around here for giving this kind of trouble. In freezing weather, it's the first one to freeze and burst in the flashlight or radio. I suggest Duracell,.....
Maxim 34: If you're only leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I have an old 2 AA cell maglite somewhere in a drawer with the batteries swelled in it. The screw trick didn't work. I think there's a tool to take the top part off of the barrel. Maybe I'll try the WD-40 thing, too. I didn't have enough projects on my list. :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Something that I'm using nowadays is a 50-50 mix of acetone and ATF. Works great as a penetrating oil on lots of things. WD is good, but this homebrew is great. U simply put it in an old Windex bottle, with an appropriate label.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Dinochrome One wrote:Rayovac batteries are well-known around here for giving this kind of trouble. In freezing weather, it's the first one to freeze and burst in the flashlight or radio. I suggest Duracell,.....
+1
Stop buying Rayovac. They don't like any environment that isn't perfect 50% humidity and 72 degrees.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"