Skool Me On Boot Sox

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
skb12172

Skool Me On Boot Sox

Post by skb12172 »

For both cold and warm weather, please. My main boots are a great pair of Timberlands that my dad bought me for my last birthday.

Fire Away!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
blackeagle603

Re: Skool Me On Boot Sox

Post by blackeagle603 »

Love the Lorpen wool/syn blend. Hotspots/blisters be gone.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Especially in cold weather, I usually put on a pair of Hanes over the calf tube socks, then wool boot socks over those. Does anybody else do this or do they have another suggestion? In summer, I often just go with the tube socks, though they aren't always comfortable by themselves.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

As a guy who spends LOTS of time on his feet and in boots, here is seriously all you need to know:

Darn Tough Socks

I have some that are 6 years old. They started very thick and wooly, perfect for temperate or cold weather. Now the oldest ones are nearly as thin as a pair of dress socks and rock in the heat. Sure, they're $20 a pair, but they have a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. I'm sending back a pair tomorrow that got a hole in them.

Even when I'm not a Marine anymore, I will continue to buy and wear these socks.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

JAG2955 wrote: Even when I'm not a Marine anymore, I will continue to buy and wear these socks.
You have no idea how much it pains me to read those words. And it's not just about the ammo cans!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Precision

Post by Precision »

I wear these as everyday socks.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___01927

I get about 2 years out of them before they start getting quite sparse. This is using 8-10 pairs 7 days per week in rotation. I usually buy 3-4 pair per year as I retire about that many.

These are what I use for hunting when it is coldish.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___01911

for lots of walking in cold weather, I have used these liner socks. I also use them when I am stationary in really cold weather.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___02164

for warm weather walking, I have used these.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___02168

These options may or may not be the optimal, but I have had good luck with them.

The most important thing for me was ditching the crap white socks and going with the coolmax ones full time. Huge foot comfort difference.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
TabascoKid

Post by TabascoKid »

Thorlo has been my go-to boot sock ever since I picked up a few pairs before going to PLDC in Korea back in '93.
Erik

Post by Erik »

CByrneIV wrote:I've pretty much exclusively switched to smartwool, for everything but gym socks, and dress socks. They're just great.
I use a liner wool sock, usually Lundhags, and then a wool sock over it. Smartwool os one of the brands I use. I use wool in both cold and heat, ever since I got the tip that wool doesn't just warm, it regulates heat, so it works as well in warm as it does in cold weather. (But I have never used it in serious heat, like in some parts of the US. "Warm" here is in the 70s, rarely over that)

Lundhags liners (in black) actually works as a decent dress socks, very comfortable.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Denis

Post by Denis »

SeekHer gave me a fantastic tip - silk liner socks. Not cheap, but they keep your feet warm in the cold, and cool in the warm.

On top of those, I have had good results with German army-surplus wool socks, and Falke brand hiking / trekking socks (the ones with the "L" and "R" socks).

Sealskinz make fantastic waterproof socks (and gloves). Not cheap, but good.
randy

Post by randy »

JAG2955 wrote:Even when I'm not an active duty Marine anymore, I will continue to buy and wear these socks.
FIFY

Once a Jarhead, always a Jarhead. ;)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".