Skool Me On Boot Sox

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Netpackrat

Re: Skool Me On Boot Sox

Post by Netpackrat »

skb12172 wrote:For both cold
Wigwam 40 Below
and warm weather, please.
:?:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Erik

Post by Erik »

Denis wrote:SeekHer gave me a fantastic tip - silk liner socks. Not cheap, but they keep your feet warm in the cold, and cool in the warm.
How do you wash them? Everything I've read about silk says that it's either handwashed, or washed separately with a special soap. From experience I kind of know that it's just a matter of time until things like that end up with the rest of the clothes.. So I haven't yet tried them.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Denis

Post by Denis »

Erik wrote:
Denis wrote:SeekHer gave me a fantastic tip - silk liner socks. Not cheap, but they keep your feet warm in the cold, and cool in the warm.
How do you wash them? Everything I've read about silk says that it's either handwashed, or washed separately with a special soap. From experience I kind of know that it's just a matter of time until things like that end up with the rest of the clothes.. So I haven't yet tried them.
You can hand-wash them (on trips, shampoo works fine), but I usually just mine in with the rest of my woollens in a cool (30C) fine-wash gentle spin programme in the washing machine. I usually buy the Falke brand men's dress silk socks. They hold up fine.
Greg

Post by Greg »

CByrneIV wrote:I've pretty much exclusively switched to smartwool, for everything but gym socks, and dress socks. They're just great.
I like these a great deal.

http://costcocouple.com/kirkland-signat ... ail-socks/
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Greg wrote:

Yep, yep. I use those in the winter. Simple cotton w. lightweight boots in the summer.

Old skiing trick: we used to use women's sheer knee-high stockings under our socks. The dude who passed out drunk first had to go to the store the next day to buy them. :)

From reports, one of my past buddies moved on to thigh-highs then full blown panty hose. :lol:
Greg

Post by Greg »

rightisright wrote:
Greg wrote:

Yep, yep. I use those in the winter. Simple cotton w. lightweight boots in the summer.
I've had a lot of luck wearing lighter wool socks, like these

when I'm going to be inside (warmer conditions, etc). One of the color options for those three packs is solid black, solid gray, gray and black striped. I'm wearing a solid black pair with my Rockports at work right now.

Honestly I've come to the opinion that, unless you're wearing them for a specific task and plan on changing them immediately after finishing the task, that you just shouldn't wear cotton socks.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I'd give those women's socks a shot... but I am sporting a pair of 11 4E dogs. My gf refers to them as Fred Flintstone Feet.
Greg

Post by Greg »

rightisright wrote:I'd give those women's socks a shot... but I am sporting a pair of 11 4E dogs. My gf refers to them as Fred Flintstone Feet.
Ah. On my 9-1/2W feet (according to the shoes I'm wearing) they don't have too much extra room. Might be just a little too small for you.

skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Greg wrote:
rightisright wrote:
Greg wrote:

I've had a lot of luck wearing lighter wool socks, like these

when I'm going to be inside (warmer conditions, etc). One of the color options for those three packs is solid black, solid gray, gray and black striped. I'm wearing a solid black pair with my Rockports at work right now.

Honestly I've come to the opinion that, unless you're wearing them for a specific task and plan on changing them immediately after finishing the task, that you just shouldn't wear cotton socks.
Those are Costco prices. On Amazon, they are 2-3 times that price.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Greg

Post by Greg »

skb12172 wrote: Those are Costco prices. On Amazon, they are 2-3 times that price.
True, true. What you see on Amazon is resellers who bought from Costco.

Unfortunately you'd have to find a member willing to take you there, or just buy it for you.