Solution in search of a problem

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Rod

Solution in search of a problem

Post by Rod »

Saw the ad for this in American Handgunner and thought comments should be fun.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
PawPaw

Re: Solution in search of a problem

Post by PawPaw »

They actually spent time developing that? What... they can't count to seven?
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

My handguns already have binary indicators on them:

- Slide forward: still have ammo
- Slide locked back: reload
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

But...but....but....the pulse rifles in "Aliens" had them and they were sooooo cool. :P
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

PawPaw wrote:They actually spent time developing that? What... they can't count to seven?
It's absurdly common for people to underestimate how many rounds they've fired in a defensive situation. They're a little distracted with the whole business of trying not to be murdered to keep count of their expended ammo. Usually it's considered good practice to just reload when you can stop shooting for a second, no matter how many times you think you've pulled the trigger. Short of counting out loud every time you fire at the range, I don't really see human-side way of making sure an accurate count can be kept under stress.

Hey, maybe that can be the new goofy drill that becomes a YouTube fad after "search and assess!" "ONETWOTHREEFOURFIVE! SIX! SEVEN-EIGHT!"

This range session brought to you by the letter B.
Weetabix wrote:My handguns already have binary indicators on them:

- Slide forward: still have ammo
- Slide locked back: reload
Pretty much.

I think these counters would be much more useful if they were about $220 less expensive and were integrated into the magazine. It's less about knowing how many rounds are in your gun at the time, and more about how much your partials are holding.
Gunnuts wrote:But...but....but....the pulse rifles in "Aliens" had them and they were sooooo cool. :P
Actually, digital round counters are pretty common in sci-fi. Especially first-person shooters.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

The idea that it's any problem is mainly a fantasy of screen- and fiction-writers, and hyper-theoretical mall ninjas.
The utility is roughly equivalent to bayonet studs on underbarrel Glock rails.
Thinking that anyone will ever benefit is as fallacious as presuming that guys would stop and ask for directions.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Jericho941 wrote:It's absurdly common for people to underestimate how many rounds they've fired in a defensive situation. They're a little distracted with the whole business of trying not to be murdered to keep count of their expended ammo.
I want to say I read somewhere long ago that the average number of rounds fired in a non-police self-defense gunfight was either 2.8 or 3.8. At the time, I was researching what to carry when I first got my permit. The round counts seemed to indicate that even a "carry" revolver with 5 rounds was enough based on statistics.

If you wanted a semiautomatic, the reasoning went that you should carry a semiautomatic and a spare magazine, but the spare magazine was because the primary magazine was more likely to malfunction than you were likely to need all the rounds you had on you.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

Weetabix wrote:If you wanted a semiautomatic, the reasoning went that you should carry a semiautomatic and a spare magazine, but the spare magazine was because the primary magazine was more likely to malfunction than you were likely to need all the rounds you had on you.
That, even if the magazine is not at fault, several immediate action drills require dumping the mag and it's quicker and easier to pull a spare from the belt or wherever than trying to catch/pick up the dropped one.

I usually carry 2 spares as "2 is 1 and 1 is none", and the only times you can have too much ammo on you is if you're swimming or on fire.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

The ammo counter is one small part of a "gun HUD" I would some day like to see built into a pair of glasses. The HUD would basically include all the stuff you would find in a FPS hud including a crosshair, ammo counter, map, and compass. Weaponized augmented reality, coming soon to your local merchant of death.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Also, they seem to have cracked shock-proof circuitry