The Woods Are Lovely Dark & Deep

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Factfind

The Woods Are Lovely Dark & Deep

Post by Factfind »

Several of these posts have made me realize that it's really been quite a while since I punched into deep woods for camping.It is something I used to do a lot of either when hunting deer or pigs or just to get "out there". I used to walk three days deep into the Allagash wilderness in Maine just to get away from the city.

I know that the skills I used to live comfortably in the woods are still in the my head, the problem is that a big part of that survival/camping skill set relates to physicality and at 55 I have trouble walking for three hours in deep woods let alone sunrise to sunset for three days. So, to my point..

When was the last time any of you Gents were out in the woods? I mean really out there, just a backpack, rifle or trusty sidearm and your wits to depend on?
SeekHer

Re: The Woods Are Lovely Dark & Deep

Post by SeekHer »

This coming Friday for the weekend in a small tepee with youngest daughter to get her a deer although we will go in by ATV for most of the day walk in to set up camp and should have a deer by Fri night or Sat morn at the latest but will still out the weekend...Hunting will be by sneak and peak method, if necessary on snowshoes…The area we are going is a swarm with the blighters so it will be me hunting for food and her for a nice rack and food…four of her sisters have gotten theirs already and one isn’t going to be hunting this year because of conflicts with class schedule and work…

Right now it is 16F and there is about 2" of snow on the ground...we will be cooking over open fire, started with flint & steel, candles for lighting and with enough food for Fri supper and Sat breakfast the rest we will have to scavenge or hunt...at least six snares will be set for wascally wabbits but plan to dine on venison...

She will be using her new 7mm-08 and I either a 6x55 Swede or a .257 Roberts and we’re bringing bows and arrows along as well for small game fun…
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Factfind

Post by Factfind »

That is wonderful. Not only are you passing along a lifestyle with a loved one but you are still getting out there yourself. great!
n'see׳a tova ;)
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

I will be deer hunting next week with friends but not nearly as ambitious as Seekher. My goal is to be out of the woods by noon to get a hot meal and go back later in the day.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

That sounds wonderful. We have some family land that we like to camp on from time to time. It is good to get out of the comforts of the city.
Factfind

Post by Factfind »

Jennifer I apologize for my insensitivity in addressing my questions earlier to the "Gents".
Just a momentary brain fart ;) I know that there are number of capable and interested women who read these forums.
Best,
FF
SeekHer

Post by SeekHer »

Factfind wrote:That is wonderful. Not only are you passing along a lifestyle with a loved one but you are still getting out there yourself. great!
n'see׳a tova ;)
toda habibi (thanks my friend),

I should have pointed out that she made the candles herself out of beeswax (with older sisters helping)...also bedding will be pine bows and I've got 6 caribou hides to go over them but we are using sleeping bags...the nice thing about a tepee is that you can keep an open fire going in it all night long...if the weather is going to get colder still then I have a small sheet metal stove and folding chimney that I will bring...

After surgery this spring and a broken back years back, I'm not in any great shape to undertake any really strenuous challenges but taking the ATV 90% of the way and walking in the last two miles pulling toboggans laden with supplies is more then adequate adventure for this 58 yr old and my daughter, 13 yr old, has been in the woods with us since she was in diapers, all of the girls have been and this will be her 5th deer--one per year...

I think I made it sound as this is her first deer ever, it was just she had a tournament the weekend we all went to the farm hunting so she was left out, sorry for any misunderstanding...I will help her drag it in if it is too large and hoist it into a tree but that is all I will do, the rest--bleeding, gutting, skinning, breaking it into quarters is her responsibility as she will have shot it but we all will later, next week after it has hung, help with the butchering...

I/we raise tomboys pure and simple…hunt, fish—bait their own hooks, remove the fish and clean them, camp, target shoot rifle, pistol shotguns and archery, smart, good looking (after their mother thank Mithrah), polite, all drive combines and tractors and can change tyres and oil but we all lack horseback skills and have never trained hunting dogs—pointers and setters for field trials but hope to next year when I retire fully and after this next operation on my stomach, again…
There is a certain type of mentality that thinks if you make certain inanimate objects illegal their criminal misuse will disappear!

Damn the TSA and Down with the BATF(u)E!
Support the J P F O to "Give them the Boot"!!
Factfind

Post by Factfind »

I/we raise tomboys pure and simple…hunt, fish—bait their own hooks, remove the fish and clean them, camp, target shoot rifle, pistol shotguns and archery, smart...
I think what you mean to say is you raise independent, capable young women who will be able to look out for their own interests as they mature. Yes, I'm sure that's what you meant ;)
Bracha vehazlaha
Joe ex PNG

Post by Joe ex PNG »

My years in New Guinea kind of killed the desire to rough it. There's somthing about having malaria while out in the bush that really makes one appreciate electric lights, fans, and indoor bathrooms with running water.
kparker

Post by kparker »

Joe,

How long have you been gone from PNG? I ask because, when we first got back from Southern Sudan, we didn't have much desire to rough it, either. But the desire did eventually come back.