thigh holsters?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Precision

thigh holsters?

Post by Precision »

When I was hunting this year, I used one of my lock on stands. When I use a lock on stand, I use a safety harness that pretty much makes it impossible to use my Serpa II holster (or any waistband holster). I was wearing fatigues, so I just took the Serpa paddle and pushed the paddle into my strong side cargo pant. While not an optimal plan for walking around and such, sitting stationary in the stand it worked.

It did make me realize that a thigh rig would be AWESOME for hunting, especially on the super cold days or in lock on stands.

Now the question is:
Do I really need to pay $100-200 for a drop leg
are the universal holsters a quality product?

I know I don't want one with a nylon clip in retention strap, but other than that, I am open to suggestions.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
skb12172

Re: thigh holsters?

Post by skb12172 »

I have also had this thought. I can't wait to see the answers to this one.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Thigh holsters are great for carry while sitting. So are shoulder holsters.

But unlike thigh rigs, shoulder holsters don't encourage the weapon fall out and drop to the ground. Which, in a tree stand, could be problematic, not to mention interesting in a dodging-a-hot-AD-coming-back-at-ya sort of way.

Note that .mil dummy cords for pistols became trendy about 2 seconds after thigh rigs did.

Frequently, a solution to a problem also creates new problems.
This is one of those times.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I think a shoulder holster would get in the way while hunting…

Not sure what the best solution is, but I just remembered another thread I meant to start.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

And, you'd be so tacticool with a thigh rig.

I've carried a handgun for many years with just a belt and a holster. I've used seat belts, safety straps, and rappelling harnesses. (In my younger days, I fell out of helicopters for a living.) Thigh rigs are totally un-necessary and complicate the training. But, I know a lot of SWAT guys who love them. If you want a thigh rig, go for it. Have a ball. Learn to use a lanyard properly, you'll need one.

The very best for this sort of thing is the Chesty Puller Rig, made by Simply Rugged. Another option is the Tanker's Holster made by El Paso Saddlery, or my any number of gov't contractors. Google is your friend.

But Hey! If you think a thigh rig is a good idea, go for it.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Precision

Re: thigh holsters?"

Post by Precision »

PawPaw wrote:And, you'd be so tacticool with a thigh rig.

I've carried a handgun for many years with just a belt and a holster. I've used seat belts, safety straps, and rappelling harnesses. (In my younger days, I fell out of helicopters for a living.) Thigh rigs are totally un-necessary and complicate the training. But, I know a lot of SWAT guys who love them. If you want a thigh rig, go for it. Have a ball. Learn to use a lanyard properly, you'll need one.

The very best for this sort of thing is the Chesty Puller Rig, made by Simply Rugged. Another option is the Tanker's Holster made by El Paso Saddlery, or my any number of gov't contractors. Google is your friend.

But Hey! If you think a thigh rig is a good idea, go for it.
I am using a harness something like this.
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/hunter- ... 0000085635

The attachment point from the leg part to the chest part goes across the hip in such a way as to be completely where the gun needs to be. Then the belt part makes it so I can't just slide it out of the way. The chest part makes a shoulder holster not be the best, plus I have a chest harness for my bino's so that area is already accounted for.

I am NOT trying to be tacticool. Hell, in Florida I can't OC except while hunting and in my own yard. No tacticooling around allowed. But it is a convenient place for when I am wearing this harness.

I was thinking something like this.
http://www.galls.com/blackhawk-serpa-ta ... d-platform

But I didn't know if the soft style is better, etc.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I second the Chesty Puller rig. Have one...
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Rusty Ray

Post by Rusty Ray »

What about a rock climbing harness? No shoulder straps (I have never ever heard of somebody coming out of one despite not having said straps) and many loops/points for attachment. Problems would be that they are not designed for comfort and can be a pain if you want to spend a long time hanging in one. They can also leave you hanging upside down in fall, this has never happened to me though.

When I'm climbing, if I have a difficult approach to the wall that requires a bit of a walk or scramble, I wear the whole rig (the harness with carabineers, belay devices, dust bag, quick draws, loops etc etc etc) and the belt tightened ready to climb, but with the leg loops not tightened, then just synch them up when I climb. All that climbing gear does actually weight a bit too. Carrying my gear in this way leaves my hands free to carry ropes or crash mats, and the shoulders are normally taken up with a backpack of some sort.

As an idea of price, expect to pay form about 50 bucks to around 120 depending on whnat you want.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Climbing- ... ing-advice

I would guess that adding a good holster to the belt would be easy. Good luck.

Cheers- Rusty
Termite

Post by Termite »

Thigh holsters are rather sexy.... :lol:
Nevada leather.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
oilcrash

Post by oilcrash »

How large is the pistol?

You may want to look into A kit bag from Hill people gear. It keeps things on your chest and out of the way of your shoulder for rifle work and is pretty much designed around carrying a pistol during hunting or backpacking.