Engineering challenge (Home made RV/Rape van)

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Aesop

Re: Engineering challenge (Home made RV/Rape van)

Post by Aesop »

Look, we designed you a canoe that turns into a hovercraft.
Don't make us pull this thread over.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Step vans are awesome. We had one at work outfitted with a work bench, tool boxes, power inverter, compressed nitrogen tanks, etc. It was getting a little old and needed replacement, and since the guy in charge (who doesn't have to drive or work out of it) doesn't like step vans, it was replaced with a quad cab pickup truck. Which I am NOT happy about.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

Given enough money, NOTHING is impossible for Guncounter guys. :lol:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Termite

Post by Termite »

Termite wrote:I know that a Ford F-150 LWB with Lear fiberglass shell makes a decent cool-cold weather sleeping pod.
Make sure you have sliding windows on the shell with bug screens, and put a bed liner in the truck.
Other than that, bling it to your heart's desire.
I used this for 2 yrs as my "hunting camp" in rural Mississippi. My standard F-150 work truck.
During hunting season, I put a 2" foam pad in the bed. Sleeping bag on top of the foam pad. I parked it next to a power pole box, and used an extension cord run through the window to a 700 watt electric heater. Cooked on a rice cooker on the tail gate. To go hunting, roll up the bag, shove everything to the front of the bed, unplug the power cord, and drive to the hunting area. It worked for me.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Termite wrote:Given enough money, ammunition, and high explosive, NOTHING is impossible for Guncounter guys. :lol:
FIFY.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

To be fair, if you have money, you can buy the other two additions.. ;)
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Nicodemus

Post by Nicodemus »

Based on your original question, an insulated van with a mattress would be comfortable for as along as you like locating a regular shit and shower. So, down on the verde river in az, it's a retirement home. In the middle of the dry desert.....a week max.
free_me

Post by free_me »

CByrneIV wrote:http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/look-sm ... a-ga-61030

THAT is what I would do given a budget.... though I wouldnt use the truck he used. A party bus, or a cube van... maybe an 18' cutaway with an overcab extension... would work very well here I think.
Something fishy about that garbage truck. From one of the outside pictures (the right side view) it looks like it's about 3 maybe 4 wheel diameters from the side door to the back of the truck. The inside pictures show much more linear distance between the side door and the back of the truck than 4 wheel diameters.