Quick donning Bump in the Night vest

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
blackeagle603

Quick donning Bump in the Night vest

Post by blackeagle603 »

A bit of repetition of past threads here... All because I've been indecisive and too stingy to make a buy decision.

I'd really like to have a vest or carrier loaded up with a night time kit (flash light, cellphone, zip ties etc) hanging and ready to don quickly.

A vest would prolly be quickest and adequate. Still, having a plate carrier is pretty appealing esp if it goes to fire/earthquake/looting around here. For my primary interest of bump-in-the-night though most plate carriers are too slow to don -- even if only to throw over one shoulder.

This "Urban Go Plate" carrier from AR 500 Armor might work out though. Side buckles instead of a cumberbun. I could see throwing that on as quick as a vest. Anyone have any experience with this type rig -- or this company?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Re: Quick donning Bump in the Night vest

Post by Greg »

You talk about only throwing it over one shoulder... in that case why not just go with a bandolier?

I've often thought it would be nice to have something like that, a bandolier with maybe a holstered pistol attached, a few spare mags, flashlight, cell phone pouch. Would go very nicely with something like a Sub2k, which I now own.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

That seems to be decently economical pricing for a carrier and two plates. Of course, it beats having nothing in the middle of the night. Also stroll through your local surplus stores. Interceptor armor seems to make its way to those from time to time.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Both Condor, and IIRC, Voodoo both make essentially the same quick throw-on plate carriers. With a set of AR500 plates, you're fairly bulletproof in short order.
And I just spotted one of those IBAs at a nearby surplus store: For far less than the asking, I could add anybody's (Safariland, Pointblank, etc.) IIIA concealable vest, throw the AR500 plates over that, and have similar protection for a lot less weight and heat load, not to mention price and availability.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

but at how much cost of time/donning in the dark while groggy?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

1) If you're that groggy, one has no business picking up a firearm or "investigating" anything, no?
2) If time is a factor, the side-donning plate carrier and plates get the job done well enough, if one is coherent enough to pull up their drawers.
(Or not. Clearing the house armed, in plate carrier, and otherwise "sky-clad" might be good for additional psychological warfare against anyone you might confront.)

The style to which I refer is thisun by Voodoo, or thisun by Condor, both available at multiple locations in SoCal, and at much less than online-direct prices. Both hold front ad rear armor plates, and give you the ability to put a holster and light pouch on the vest, and anything else you want in MOLLE pouches you add yourself, whether it's an IFAK, flexicuffs, medieval morningstar for field interrogations, tuna sandwich, beer can cooler, body bag, rubber gloves, and H2O2 for cleaning up the evidence afterwards, or what have you.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

BE - what are you carrying and what are you using when you use this? Are you holding an AR15 with a pistol holstered?
Greg wrote:Would go very nicely with something like a Sub2k, which I now own.
Damn show-off. :evil:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:Would go very nicely with something like a Sub2k, which I now own.
Damn show-off. :evil:
sigh

One of these days I'll stop being sick long enough to get it to the range. I've been healthy about a week (not all in one stretch) since, oh, the beginning of December. Then I'll find out if I need to use Keltec's customer support.

Armor is interesting, but not really happening for everyone here. Thus the grab-n-go bandolier idea.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
randy

Post by randy »

Greg wrote:You talk about only throwing it over one shoulder... in that case why not just go with a bandolier?

I've often thought it would be nice to have something like that, a bandolier with maybe a holstered pistol attached, a few spare mags, flashlight, cell phone pouch. Would go very nicely with something like a Sub2k, which I now own.
Or get a tanker type holster with a few pouches added. I've used similar when traveling and staying in mo/hotels to have everything in a quick grab and go.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

if one is coherent enough to pull up their drawers
I can read that but not sure I'm understanding this concept of "drawers" (glances at pic on the wall of kilt clad Granddad)
1) If you're that groggy, one has no business picking up a firearm or "investigating" anything, no?
I'm just being realistic about gross vs fine motor skills when coming awake. KISS beats tangled and dropping stuff in the dark. Speaking from a pretty long resume' of life underway. Regularly turning out from REM state to deck, pulling on clothes/boots/grabbing my kit while running to GQ station or an alert flight brief. Simple is good, esp in the dark as you're waking and regaining situational awareness.

Or get a tanker type holster with a few pouches added
Holsters I got. Chest rig I got.

Vest (ideally w/ a plate carrier) I want. This would have utility if I have to venture out and around the property either due to disturbance being out in the neighborhood or during SHTF (fires/earthquake) type situations.