Hams: Which bands/modes do you like best and why?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Weetabix

Re: Hams: Which bands/modes do you like best and why?

Post by Weetabix »

I programmed my Baofengs with the CHIRP software. Each time I use it, I figure out something a bit more cool and useful.

On the radio itself, if you find two active channels, repeaters, frequencies or whatever, you can set it for dual watch: Menu | 7 | Menu| Up arrow | Menu | Exit (I think that's right). It will listen on both frequencies and light up whichever one has activity. Turn it off the same way.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

I put a Nagoya NA-701 on my UV-5R today and it has dramatically improved reception. I highly recommend one. Amazon has them for under $10.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Jered wrote:I've got a Baofeng, and I managed to get the USB software to work, which was a pain in the ass. And handy.
The software that comes on the cd-rom supplied with the USB to radio adapter cables is unusable junk. All you actually need is the specific driver for the USB chip. Use Chirp instead: http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

I'm very happy with my recent purchase of two Baofeng UV-5r radios from dealextreme. In one week of frequent use out in the woods, they already paid for themselves in money saved on mobile phone use.

Tune a pair to the same eight or so PMR channels using the Chirp software (you can proram one handset, then automagically clone it's setting to the other), set transmit power to low so as not to overwhelm other PMR users nearby, and Bob's your uncle.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Kommander wrote:I put a Nagoya NA-701 on my UV-5R today and it has dramatically improved reception. I highly recommend one. Amazon has them for under $10.
I got one of these, and I can't recommend it. It doesn't seem to do much better than the rubber duck. Can't tell that it's worse, either, though.

I'm going to try one of yours.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Kommander wrote:I put a Nagoya NA-701 on my UV-5R today and it has dramatically improved reception. I highly recommend one. Amazon has them for under $10.
I pushed the wrong button and got the Nagoya NA-771. It just got here. I have two UV-5R's, so I'll have to set them side by side and see what it does over the rubber duck.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

The 771 IA supposed to work well to but one reputable looking ham site I found recommend against it because the said it didn't match up with the radio quite right and give harmful feedback.

Meanwhile after recharging my radio last night the speaker crapped out. As it's a $30 radio I'm just going to send it back to Amazon and have already ordered another. I think I'll detach the batteries from the radio before recharging them from now on. If this next one fails I'm going to give up on them and get a Wuxon or something.