Hams: Which bands/modes do you like best and why?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Weetabix

Hams: Which bands/modes do you like best and why?

Post by Weetabix »

Inspired by other threads, this question occurred to me. I recently got my ticket, and the stars haven't aligned for me to spend any time at the local ham club meetings.

I bought a cheap 2M/70cm h/t, and I've checked in on a local net. Using the radio's scanning of the local repeaters, I haven't heard much traffic. Could be I'm listening at inopportune times.

I stopped in on Field Day, and there were people working several bands and modes (phone, CW, PSK31, etc). It was interesting, but I've forgotten their names and exactly what bands they were working.

I'm loath to lay down a huge chunk on radio equipment only to find out there's no one out there.

What bands would you investigate for a decent chance of traffic?

What about modes? I'm interested in CW, but realistically looking at schedule, I probably won't have much time for study.

Any equipment recommendations for a balance of cost and breadth of band coverage?

I've read that used equipment can be a good way to go. I've read that ebay might be a last resort as opposed to a ham forum. Any thoughts, experience, or anecdotes about that?

I have an ARRL book of antenna builds, so I'm kind of looking forward to playing with that. What equipment do you think is critical for that? SWR meter? Antenna tuner? Antenna analyzer (if I'm not making that up)?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Re: Hams: Which bands/modes do you like best and why?

Post by Weetabix »

I've just been screwing around so far - 2 Baofeng UV-5R's for $40 each.

I'd like to get more serious without breaking the bank. I've seen some links for Yaesu's that look interesting... and expensive - mobiles and bases for >$800. Some h/t's for <$300. I might could swing that and put a good antenna on it as an interim measure.

But what bands?
randy

Post by randy »

I primarily operate on 2M and 440 locally. Occasionally talking with the family (all licensed) but primarily for ARES and Public Service Events (Communications support of marathons, bike rides, parades, etc). Family mobiles (and shack at home) have APRS capability so we can track each other if needed.

When traveling I usually work 20 and 40 meters, occasionally 10 depending on band conditions. They seem to work the best on my equipment (IC-706MKIIG and Tarheel antenna). Lots of activity on those during various parts of the day. Exclusively voice (FM/SSB) when on the road,

I don't do much HF at home, usually something else going on and most of my RF playtime in on VHF nets. My primary HF rig is another IC706MKIIG that I bought used as a back up to the vehicle, and it's a lot more portable for Field Day and such than my late 70's tube final TS-820S. Primarily voice, some digital modes (PSK-31). I can do CW but never got to where I enjoyed it.

My gear is pretty much all Kenwood and Icom. Some bought new, some bought used. I've gotten really good deals on used equipment at hamfests. The problem with E-Bay is people not knowing what the market is and/or "gotta win" mentality that pushes the selling price of 10-15 year old equipment up to levels where you could buy brand new.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Weetabix wrote:I have an ARRL book of antenna builds, so I'm kind of looking forward to playing with that. What equipment do you think is critical for that? SWR meter? Antenna tuner? Antenna analyzer (if I'm not making that up)?
At a minimum you will need an SWR Meter and a multimeter.

A tuner will help cut down mismatches to protect the finals on the transmitter, but you need an SWR meter inline if it's a manual tuner. The SWR meter can also help while building the antenna to get it matched as close as possible to your preferred frequency range.

An Antenna Analyzer is an excellent piece of kit, and makes life a lot easier when building/ tuning an antenna installation, but costs start at the $250-300 range. I have one (MFJ-259Band wouldn't want to be without it, but it took years before I could force myself to cough up the money to get it. That said, it provides a useful check on my various SWR meters to ensure they are still relatively calibrated.

ETA: Link
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Weetabix wrote:What about modes? I'm interested in CW, but realistically looking at schedule, I probably won't have much time for study.
When I was studying to upgrade from 5 to 13WPM under the old style general license, I spent 15 minutes at lunch every evening copying code from an MFJ Pocket CW Trainer. Amazing how fast you can work your way up doing that.

Once you've got the basics down, then the best practice is to get on the air. ARRL regularly transmits bulletins in CW on various frequencies for practice.

ETA: link to Pocket Tutor
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

I have 3 HF rigs. One is a real "boat anchor" classic Tempo One. Haven't fired it up in years. The capacitors are probably drying out.

I have a Kenwood and my new Icom IC-7000.

I have spent more time on 10 meters than anything else, but much of that was before upgrading to General.

I have not checked lately, but a couple weeks ago 10 meters was booming. I talked to Chile, Illinois, Texas, Louisiana, Idaho and listened to Japan and Hawaii. All on a CB mobile antenna!

Get yourself to the local ham meetings and don't be shy. There is more equipment going unused than you can imagine. Someone may loan you a rig and help set it all up. Attend the local HamFests.

I too shun CW, but know that if you want to learn, then regular practice is important. Lots of options available.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
randy

Post by randy »

+1 on getting in with local ham clubs. Some may have club stations that you can use to get on the air and play.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Movement towards my Tech licencing are moving apace. Any thoughts on the Baofeng UV-82? It is supposed to be the next generation of the Baofeng radios and according to the reviews it is quite a bit better. At this point it looks like my choices are a BaoFeng UV-5R/5RA for $30, a UV-5R+ for 40 or a UV-82 for $50.
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Almost all of the radio equipment you can get, the newer and more features the better. With the caveat that often that comes with gimmicks that you will NEVER use.

Flexibility is a good thing.

I have, at least quasi-legally, opened up my 2 meter handheld to work outside the Ham Bands and been able to communicate with the Tower on the FM radio. I was working in an official capacity and the comm was legit.

Someone that, say, worked for a "courier service" and could communicate with the dispatcher might find it useful.

The Baofengs seem to be a reasonably decent lot of radios. The biggest shortcoming I have heard is that there is very little interchangeability between different units. Even some of the same designator that were built for a different label are not compatible.

All of that said, I would probably spend the extra $20 and get the UV-82.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Rumpshot wrote:I have, at least quasi-legally, opened up my 2 meter handheld to work outside the Ham Bands and been able to communicate with the Tower on the FM radio. I was working in an official capacity and the comm was legit.

Someone that, say, worked for a "courier service" and could communicate with the dispatcher might find it useful.
If one were to do this, and stay inside the frequencies, bandwidths, and radiated power for a given service, would anyone really be able to tell that you were using equipment intended for use under a different service or FCC Part Something?