weapon light recommendations?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Mike OTDP

weapon light recommendations?

Post by Mike OTDP »

OK, I just picked up a new AR carbine with rails for all sorts of goodies. Any recommendations for a rail-mounted light? TIA.
Darrell

Re: weapon light recommendations?

Post by Darrell »

I have a couple of Streamlight Polytacs w/1" barrels (the smaller ones, fit weapons clamps). They're not uber bright, but effective, and they're not expensive.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

CByrneIV wrote:In general I'm a streamlight and a surefire fan.

Any specific parameters, features, or exclusions?
Not really, just a light that will go on a Picatinny rail. Compactness is worthwhile, of course. I know Surefire has a good reputation. Streamlight I've never used.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I have a Surefire, same size as the Polytacs (G2?), I actually prefer the Streamlights. I had the Surefire on Mister 12 Gauge, I found that the recoil would jar the light enough to turn it off--the Surefire has an on/off button on the tail cap, I guess the impulse was enough to jar the batteries against the tail cap and turn it off. The Polytac Streamlights have a screw tail cap to turn it on/off, which is insensitive to recoil.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I was different and bought an Inforce light. It has two separate lockout devices to prevent white light NDs. But I really bought it for its shape, it makes a tape switch (which break ALL the time) unnecessary. Great customer service too. I bought their pistol version, and it made a high pitched whine, and they sent me a new one with a box to send back the old one.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I misspoke about the Streamlights vs the Surefire--the Surefire has the screw tail cap (with momentary pushbutton). It resides on Mister Twelve Gauge. The Streamlight has the pushbutton tail cap. I have it on one of the JR carbines, plus another on the headboard of my bed.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

I have a Streamlight PolyTac on my AR. It's built well and throws plenty of light for anything in or around my house. There are a ton of better lights that fit standard mounts, but not for $30.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

ITAC (the Sig-Sauer house brand) makes a spiffy TDL-1, which is a light/laser pistol grip combo, and which works well on the front end of my M-4gery.

Otherwise the Surefires are my go-to lights.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"