Packing the Safe (10lbs:5lb box)

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
blackeagle603

Packing the Safe (10lbs:5lb box)

Post by blackeagle603 »

The re-org of my little safe has been a work in progress off and on for several years. I have been fiddling with packing things tighter/finding ways to get 10 more lbs in the 5 lb box. This safe is stressed. All but the top most shelf of the original racking/shelving has been pulled.

The latest effort has opening up the top shelf which has been packed solid with handguns and magazines. In this latest iteration I've velcro'd and screwed pouches to the door. Had to be be careful to pay attention to the depth of them on the door. They're right at the edge of interfering with the long guns that have been restacked alternating up/down.
safe door org.jpg
The rifle rods and pistol rod hangers were a disappointment. Yanked those and put in a 1x4 with 1/2" dowels sticking out on ~3" centers. They protrude about 6" so I can put two long guns in butt cown/muzzle down. Flat across the front of that double row I set 2 AR's and one of my 2 ready short barrel 12 gauges. I have almost all of them in gun socks so I don't have to worry about marking them up as they rest on each other.

These door pouches allow me to set 3 of my ready handguns on the shelf in a much cleaner access config. In actual use they're all in socks in the pouches.
safe shelf.jpg
This is my fall back room. There's other pieces elsewhere the house or on me for quick access and some of these come out when I'm home.

I'm experimenting with a magnetic tool holder for magazines in this room. I put a couple strips up where they're obscured by clothing but can be grabbed quickly. No help with aluminum mags but it helps organize things a bit.
mag magnet.jpg
I've still got a wee bit of room at the bottom of the door for some pouches to store things with minimum depth. Purchase/sale records and such.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Aesop

Re: Packing the Safe (10lbs:5lb box)

Post by Aesop »

I trust you either use a dehumidifier or use barrier preservatives, because those gun socks will pull enough moisture out of the air even here in arid SoCal to give your long arms a happy orange coating if left unattended too long.

Ask me how I know. 8-)
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Good to know. Even with the silicon impregnation?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I'm on the ocean side of the coastal foothills, and 2 years of inattention compelled me to spend the better part of an afternoon turning an 870 back to crackleblack rather than dusted with orange from tang to muzzle. My inner DI cried.

The only preservative I trust is that which I've rubbed on myself.

Mine was in a sock on an open rack in a gun room.
In a safe that's closed for the most part, a Goldenrod or equivalent should suffice along with the silicon socks.

Check your loaded mags occasionally too. I never had problems in the bone-dry SF Valley, but over here on the coastal side, the air also turned a loaded en-bloc Garand clip into something you'd expect to find on a tropical island after a decade or so.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Magnetic mag holders are genius. Consider the idea stolen.
Denis

Post by Denis »

blackeagle603 wrote:Good to know. Even with the silicon impregnation?
I don't like those silicon impregnated thingys because the silicone, once it's on blued metal, can only be removed by sanding or beadblasting. If you ever get a scratch and want to use some touch-up bluing, it won't work. I don't use silicon anything (oil, cloths, gun socks) around my guns, except for a tiny tiny bit of silicon grease lube on the threads of the pressure chamber on my CO2 air-rifle.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

When my ex wife moved out, I took 2 of her door mounted shoe holders and put them on the doors of my safes. They make great pistol/magazine holders.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Yogimus wrote:Magnetic mag holders are genius. Consider the idea stolen.
Magnetic knife racks, repurposed. Pretty sure you can find them at IKEA. Nice idea.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
g-man

Post by g-man »

Greg wrote:
Magnetic knife racks, repurposed. Pretty sure you can find them at IKEA. Nice idea.
Doubly wonderful since IKEA is anti-gun...
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

g-man wrote:
Greg wrote:
Doubly wonderful since IKEA is anti-gun...
There's always Horror Freight...
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.