revolver grips

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
JKosprey

revolver grips

Post by JKosprey »

I've had my S&W 360 for a little over a month now, and I'm pretty thrilled. It shoots well, carries well, and the trigger is getting better with each round of dry-firing. I'm a big fan of the rubber "birds-head" style grips on it as far as how they handle, but I do have two major issues with them. First, they're sticky. That's great for the range but they tend to catch on my cover garment very easily. If my shirt rides up, it won't come back down. Second, they have a disturbing tendency to actually pop off if the grip catches on anything while holstered. I see this as a pretty big deal, naturally.

At this point I'm leaning towards a smooth wood grip like this: http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?mai ... ts_id=1771

Any better suggestions from the wheel-gun fans? Looking to stay under 100 bucks, so lasergrips are off the table, at least for now. Maybe in the future.

Fire away!
PawPaw

Re: revolver grips

Post by PawPaw »

My son has those on his J frame and he likes them a lot. I'm still using some Hogue Overmolded grips that I've used for nearly two decades. I've tried others, but I keep going back to the Hogue.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I like the Pachmayr grips--I have the Grippers on my GP100, and Presentation grips on all my Blackhawks:

http://www.pachmayr.com/home/revolver-grips.php

I am not a fan of the Hogue rubber revolver grips, too fat IMO. The Grippers fill my hand nicely, yet aren't wide across.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I like service style., but I usually get them made by a local stock maker - with a Texas A&M inlay and out of prettier wood. (He also does a nice job putting a nice swell in them.)
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Termite

Post by Termite »

I have Pachmayr Compacts on my S&W M13. I like them.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I've always favored Pachmayr and Hogue, but as time takes its toll on eyesight, the CTC laser grips are the bomb.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

I have a Hogue Monogrip on my Taurus 605. It makes it almost comfortable with 158 gr 38 Specials.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Hmmm. I might be able to swing for the cheaper lasergrips. I really wish there was a place I could actually *try* grips, because I don't have the ability to keep shelling out to change grips if I make a bad choice. I find the current grips pretty comfortable to shoot, and mine is .38 only, not .357 so I don't have to worry about monstrous loads. But even upstate, in NY concealment is a pretty big deal, so my shirt sticking makes me very nervous. What are the textures like for the hogue, pachmayr, and CTC grips for handguns? I had a hogue overmolded on my AR for awhile, and I liked it but the texture and "stickyness" was very much like what I have now.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Lokidude wrote:I have a Hogue Monogrip on my Taurus 605. It makes it almost comfortable with 158 gr 38 Specials.
I usually prefer Pachmayr grips on revolvers, but on my Taurus 605 the Hogue monogrip was the best fit to my hand. Shooting 158-gr 357 Mags is not unpleasant. They are just so ugly though.

Only advice on your rubber grip sticking to your shirt- you need to either get some wear on those grips, or try rubbing them with talcum powder to cut down the tackiness.

I advise against smooth wood grips because, especially with small J-frame size guns, the recoil and sweat in your palms makes it like holding onto a wet fish sometimes. If you want smooth wood at least get some finger grooves. Ahrends makes some nice grips, give them a look-see.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!