Lucid HD7 Gen 3 Red Dot Sight

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Darrell

Lucid HD7 Gen 3 Red Dot Sight

Post by Darrell »

I mentioned in another thread that I'd recently got my hands on the new gen 3 Lucid HD7 red dot sight, $189 at Amazon (price is presently at $190.87):

http://www.amazon.com/LUCID-HD7-Red-Dot ... +dot+sight

As noted earlier, I was a bit taken aback by the view through the sight--the emitter/reticle display extends into the clear aperture of the tube. I did some looking around on the web, and did find a few images looking through the sight, and yes, it's normal. I also wrote Lucid about it, who also confirmed it:
Dear Darrell,

I understand your concern.

Yes this is normal with the HD7. The HD7 is NOT like any other red dot sight out there.

You see, in order to create fairly compact and truly parallax free, 1x, Multi reticle optic, the reticle projector is required to set a bit in the field of view to create the proper angle against the reflex screen.

NOTE: This system has been tested thoroughly and highly successfully with S.W.A.T. officers and high velocity down range military special operation operators for over 5 years now.

When the optic is mounted on a firearm and used in the intended "both eyes" open and heads up orientation, with the operator focused on the target, this small but necessary protrusion into the field of view is a non issue for the operator.

Thank You & Best Regards,

Jason Wilson | Primary & Founder of LUCID
235 Fairway Drive, Riverton, WY 82501
307.840.2160 | http://www.mylucidgear.com | jason@mylucidgear.com
Well, okay then. I mounted the sight on the .45 JR carbine and dialed it in at the range tonight. The sight works fine. It appears to hold zero across the four reticles once zeroed. On the downside, I would prefer that the elevation and azimuth turrets have target knobs instead of screws (I think earlier versions did have such). Not really a problem once dialed in, though. The turret caps do have retainers to prevent loss, which is a nice touch. And yeah, once you're up and running you don't much notice the obstruction. My eyes do tend to cross when I shoot with both eyes open, though. ;)

The other thing I don't much care for is the on/off and brightness controls--You can select auto or manual brightness control by holding down the on/off button until it flashes fast or slow. To turn off the sight you must depress the on/off button for four seconds. The buttons seem a bit squirrelly to me, on/auto/manual/off doesn't seem very positive. It does have auto shutoff after two hours, though, not that big a deal, I suppose. There is a small sensor atop the sight that determines auto brightness levels. I believe it has a battery life of 1,000 hours.

I'll have to run it some more to come up with a long term impression. As of now I'll give it a B. If I were using this sight in a home defense scenario, I wouldn't like monkeying with the buttons. I'd say it's comparable to the Vortex StrikeFire and other such red dots. My Bushnell FAKOG manages multiple reticles without obstructing the aperture. It's okay, it's not outstanding.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Kommander

Re: Lucid HD7 Gen 3 Red Dot Sight

Post by Kommander »

high velocity down range military special operation operators for over 5 years now.
I love this bit. I honestly can't tell if they are making a joke or not.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

S.W.A.T. officers and high velocity down range military special operation operators
They left out "high speed, low drag" and "tactical".
Wankers. :lol:
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
randy

Post by randy »

Aesop wrote:
S.W.A.T. officers and high velocity down range military special operation operators
They left out "high speed, low drag" and "tactical".
Wankers. :lol:
+1
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".