SHTF neighborhood tac comms

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
rightisright

Re: SHTF neighborhood tac comms

Post by rightisright »

Randy (or others), I see that those popular handheld Baofeng radios can transmit on MURS frequencies. Is it legal to use one if you limit yourself to MURS only?
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

rightisright wrote:Randy (or others), I see that those popular handheld Baofeng radios can transmit on MURS frequencies. Is it legal to use one if you limit yourself to MURS only?
I'm still researching that, but if I read things correctly, you may only use a Part 95 certified radio to transmit on a Part 95 service, and the Baofengs aren't certified for Part 95 use. I'm playing it safe for now (i.e. not keying the mike), but I'm still researching, and I'd appreciate better information if someone has it.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:Good question. I wonder if you'll be issued a separate GMRS call sign.
Separate GMRS call sign.
BTW, the FCC is very trusting. They're awfully free with personal information. ULS searches.....
I know. I don't particularly like that. But I try to think like a grain of sand on the beach...
randy

Post by randy »

Weetabix wrote:
rightisright wrote:Randy (or others), I see that those popular handheld Baofeng radios can transmit on MURS frequencies. Is it legal to use one if you limit yourself to MURS only?
I'm still researching that, but if I read things correctly, you may only use a Part 95 certified radio to transmit on a Part 95 service, and the Baofengs aren't certified for Part 95 use. I'm playing it safe for now (i.e. not keying the mike), but I'm still researching, and I'd appreciate better information if someone has it.

In general, any public/commercial radio service requires the equipment pass FCC certification standards to ensure no harmful interference to other users of the spectrum. The one exception to that is for amateur equipment on amateur frequencies. So I could take a Type 95 certified MURS radio and re-tune it to an amateur frequency and I'd be legal, but not if I re-tuned amateur gear to MURS.

I haven't researched these particular radios so will go with rightisright's reading for now.

My official, public position is and always will be if it's not permitted under the rules, don't do it. If nothing else to keep in line with our rules on this forum.

I won't speculate on the likelihood or not of being prosecuted for using unauthorized equipment in certain portions of the spectrum, except to say that if someone is causing issues on an amateur frequency I will gleefully join in the chase and celebrate when said individual gets his comeuppance from the FCC.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:BTW, the FCC is very trusting. They're awfully free with personal information. ULS searches.....
I know. I don't particularly like that. But I try to think like a grain of sand on the beach...
Reminds me.... I really need a PO Box.

Whois info on personal domains is a pretty good way to leak information, too.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:
Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:BTW, the FCC is very trusting. They're awfully free with personal information. ULS searches.....
Reminds me.... I really need a PO Box.
Yeah. That whole "fairly unique last name" thing does have its disadvantages.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been doing a lot of research online including trying to make sense of official documents (and snippets from them posted online).

For MURS, equipment that was Part 90 type certified before Nov 2002 (and can otherwise meet requirements, freqs, power, etc) is grandfathered in. Anything else, to be legally usable with MURS must be specifically type certified for Part 95 Section J (iirc).

And nobody makes that. Well there are one or two, but they're $200 each.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

Followup just to post this:

http://kv5r.com/ham-radio/gmrs-frs-freq ... and-ctcss/

Some good info for anyone who decides to buy blister pack radios. (The translation of CTCSS tone frequencies to the numbers that different companies use can be quite useful.)

Greg

Post by Greg »

rightisright wrote:
Greg wrote:Wound up ordering the Motorola MT352R after some internal debate and consultation with SWMBO. Decided it was worth trading 'repeater capable and waterproof' for 'water resistant and supports USB charging' as we have a substantial investment in USB charging infrastructure, what with 2 tablets and a smartphone in the house.

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products ... duct2=1950

This site is very cool.
I'd be interested in seeing what their real range is in suburbia. I have an older Motorola FRS set that only gets out to 1/2 - 3/4 mile around here.
First field test was today. (Would have been sooner, but the retardos that Amazon contracted out local package delivery to took from Friday to Tuesday to figure out how to find my apartment. Actually it was worse than that, they tried and failed to deliver Fri and Mon and only managed to find us on Tues because they called us! to ask for help, and my wife talked them to our door.)

On an FRS-only channel (.5w power) we got almost exactly a mile, in level terrain with lots of 1 and 2 story commercial and residential buildings in the way. We'll try higher power channels later. (The radio has 2 transmit buttons, one for high power, one for low. Low is .5w, high is 1.5w on a channel that supports it. On FRS-only channels both buttons are .5w. On mixed or GMRS, the difference is meaningful.)

In general, about the radio.... Works great with the included battery pack (marked 3.6v), alkaline or my eneloops (which together are 3.6v, imagine that). Note, this model takes AA (double A) batteries. The USB connectors they take are the kind popular with digital cameras, *not* cell phones and tablets (mini and micro, respectively). I overlooked that detail, so to use all our existing chargers I'll have to pick up a couple of USB to mini USB cables.