Probably the wrong crowd but...

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
D5CAV

Re: Probably the wrong crowd but...

Post by D5CAV »

I carry the same, except I have a flint rod on my key ring instead of lighter.

So far, the smallest CR123 powered flashlight is the Fenix PD10. That's on my key ring.

Spyderco Endura is light and small enough to usually gets the nod where my sidearm is discouraged.

My pens are Benchmade tactical pens, but I have taken to traveling with Zebra F-701s in case some TSA agent takes a liking to my Benchmade pens.

I have long arms, so I have deep pockets made for my slacks.

I've used a number of tailors over the years to make my suits, either Hong Kong or Thailand. The cost is less than what I pay on the discount rack at department stores and I can get them how I want them.

I can get a pair of slacks made for $80 to $120 depending on the quality of the wool. I ask for deep pockets front & back. I ask for reinforcements on the pockets to help hide my pocket gun and flashlight. I ask for wider and thicker belt loops to help support my gun belt, and I get the loops spaced where I want them for my IWB holster.

The result is a pair of tactical pants that I can wear into an office building and not get a second glance.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Denis

Post by Denis »

D5CAV wrote:I have long arms, so I have deep pockets made for my slacks.
I've used a number of tailors over the years to make my suits, either Hong Kong or Thailand.
My tailor in Singapore is excellent, but I have learned that I must be quite specific in my instructions, since western morphology can be a bit of a mystery to petite Chinese seamstresses and tailors. I once asked for deep pockets - they reached to my knees :-)
Erik

Post by Erik »

Denis wrote: I once asked for deep pockets - they reached to my knees :-)
Did you ask them what they thought you'd be carrying in them?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Denis

Post by Denis »

Erik wrote:
Denis wrote: I once asked for deep pockets - they reached to my knees :-)
Did you ask them what they thought you'd be carrying in them?
Judging by the length, they probably thought either my manhood 8-) or an Uzi...
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Aglifter wrote:What is a minimum of stuff to carry?...
Wallet (really cash, ATM Card, IDs, and AMEX/Visa for hotels/other places which don't take debit.)
Agree. Try a front pocket wallet - it reduces the amount of crap you can accumulate in there.
Keys (car and house, at a minimum.)
Agree. ... and office. I have one of those pull apart key rings. The "always" keys go on the bigger ring, and the "sometimes" keys go on the smaller.
Cell Phone
Agree. This goes in my shirt pocket because I don't quite like my belt to be festooned.
Small knife.
Agree. I carry the Swiss Army Cadet with an alox handle. There's almost no need it doesn't fill, and it's small enough I'll leave it in my pocket rather than taking it out and forgetting it somewhere. If I lose it, I'll buy another exactly like it.
Small tactical flashlight - EagleTac makes my current favorites.
I agree with the idea, but I don't actually carry one on my person. I have two in my EDC backpack.
Pocket gun/ reload for same
Agree. I'm on a Keltec PF9 right now. Quite small, reliable, utility-type. It's in a Cross Breed IWB holster.
End, for me, business card holder, pen and pad - although I know I shouldn't really need the pen and pad that much.
I don't need a business card holder, but always the pen and pad. I can't quite make the leap to doing pad work on my phone. I carry a Field Notes graph notebook - it's durable, small enough, but big enough. I've carried Fisher space pens for 13-14 years now. First the bullet pen, then basically this one. They're very dependable. The pen, the pad, and the phone go in a shirt pocket.
Perhaps a small lighter
In the pack.
Anything I missed?
You covered what I carry, with a few small additions. I also wear a watch, but it's not too fancy. Mostly just hands and a face. I use the phone for timers and alarms. Other than the flashlight, I don't usually miss something I wish I had. I may add the flashlight sometime.

I think it really works out to body area ratios. A guy like you or Chris has significantly more body area than smaller guys, so you can get more stuff tucked around than we can. A wallet may occupy 4% of my body area, but only 2.5% of a larger guy's, so he has more left over. If that make sense.

And I'm really interested in those pants Oleg highlighted. I'd love to hear a review from anyone who's tried them.

ETA: I just realized: I'm a wannabe minimalist who can't quite resist cool stuff. My impatience with the discomfort that carrying too many things brings has pushed me back into some semblance of minimalism.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

ETA: I just realized: I'm a wannabe minimalist who can't quite resist cool stuff. My impatience with the discomfort that carrying too many things brings has pushed me back into some semblance of minimalism.
My wife picked up my coat a couple days ago 'Babe what is in this damn thing , well my Tracker the 44 mag, flashlight, keys , cell phone, hat and gloves , and 20 or so rounds of 44 mag' I consider myself a minimalist as well but I want to survive getting to town .
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

arctictom wrote:My wife picked up my coat a couple days ago 'Babe what is in this damn thing , well my Tracker the 44 mag, flashlight, keys , cell phone, hat and gloves , and 20 or so rounds of 44 mag' I consider myself a minimalist as well but I want to survive getting to town .
I carried more when I lived in Fairbanks. I had an old army field jacket with those big pockets. I actually find myself looking forward to jacket weather here, but it so seldom comes.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
evan price

Post by evan price »

My typical minimum loadout-

Wallet with cards and cash and a credit-card knife
Handcuff key
Kershaw Scallion clipped on ticket pocket
Victorinox Climber swiss army knife (for the tools mostly)
Fenix L1T 1-AA flashlight
Albuterol inhaler
Cloth handkerchief
Carmex lip balm
North American Arms mini-magnum revolver/22 Magnum Speer Gold Dots in a custom leather pocket holster
Truck & house key on a key ring
Cell phone in breast pocket
Good ballpoint pen and small notebook in breast pocket
Restrung my boot laces with paracord.
Bic micro lighter
A couple peppermint discs in individual wrapping.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Absolute minimum? a good pocket knife & a lighter. My standard EDC? A bit more than that. :)

Keychain: Gerber Artifact, whistle, P-38 can opener, CPR Mask

Wallet: Fresnel magnifier lens

Cell Phone pouch: Cellphone (duh), condom

Tool pouch: Insanely bright LED flashlight (Olight M30 Triton), Leatherman Kick, several meters of duct tape wrapped around a business card, "Versatool" with regular bit set, and a selection of security bits, pen-shaped mini-screwdriver, BIC lighter, Altoid tin 1st aid kit

Altoid tin 1st aid kit: Business cart taped to the lid with blood type, allergy inco & ICE number, 3 bandaids, 1 pair nitrile gloves, finger-sized SAM Splint, 2 Benedryls, 2 Immodiums, 3"x3" gauze pad, golf pencil. I need to get an extra swiss army knife tweezer to add to it for dealing w/ bee stings.

Pocket knife: Kershaw Blur or S&W SWAT if I'm casual, Kershaw Leek if trying to look nice.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.