My load-out

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
doc Russia

My load-out

Post by doc Russia »

So I think after much experimentation, I have finally gotten my loadout setup the way I like it.
I was going over it (as I periodically do) checking to make sure that everything works right, and that anything I used or broke is replaced, and thought I would share it with the folks here in the forum.
It is what I use, and it works well for me. YMMV.
For those of you who do not know, besides working clinically as an Emergency Physician, I am also the Team physician for a regional tactical (SWAT) team here in North Texas. As such, I train monthly with the team. My primary job is to train the tactical medics, provide tactical operational medical support, and generally be around to make suggestions and answer questions for commander regarding the health and medical welfare of the team.
The neat thing is that I have been around enough that the guys will let me run through their shooting drills, and sometimes take part in their scenarios as an operator when they are short on bodies. In other words, I get high speed training on a regular basis, and it's cheap since they let me use their ammo :D :D :D
So, Here is what I run:
The gas mask, pistol and medical kit are all quick detach subloads. On call-outs the laws of Texas prohibit me from carrying openly, so I always put the glock somewhere out of sight and out of mind during those times.
the 10-40 conversion barrel is because I carry a 10mm, but the SWAT team is going from a mix of 9/40/45 to 40 cal. So, to use their ammo, I use the conversion barrel.
If you guys have any questions about why or how I did this or that, ask away.
UPDATE: Glad I checked on things. Looks like my active ear pro is not so active anymore. New batteries didn't fix it, either. Maybe time to get a new pair or to see if MSA will fix it.
"That which does not transmit light creates its own darkness"
-Marcus Aurelius
"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
-Captain Mal Reynolds, Firefly
Yogimus

Re: My load-out

Post by Yogimus »

Is this "Duty" or a SHTF loadout? (assuming duty)

/edit I would recommend different gloves, with better knuckle protection. Cuffing people on pavement when they are resistant tens to fuck hands up.
doc Russia

Post by doc Russia »

Yogimus wrote:Is this "Duty" or a SHTF loadout? (assuming duty)

/edit I would recommend different gloves, with better knuckle protection. Cuffing people on pavement when they are resistant tens to fuck hands up.
This is a duty load which can easily be be changed to SHTF. I keep it in my trunk.
You are absolutely right about the gloves being subpar for "cuffing and stuffing." I have tried the hard knuckled gloves previously, but since I do not touch these guys until *after* they are cuffed that is not such a concern of mine. I am more concerned with whether I can feel a pulse through the gloves, so I have put dexterity over protection. I am able to use an iphone while wearing these gloves because the leather over the index finger is so thin and supple. I highly recommend these gloves. They are cheap enough that they are considered easily replaced, but mine have done a lot of tough duty and are still holding together.
http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Full-Dexterit ... ig.700.htm
-Marcus Aurelius
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

I would drop the neck knife, and place a knife opposite of holster, shrink the ear pro to the "bud" style ones that can go around the neck, add a source of water instead of the medkit (High pressure situations, you either tourniquet or its not important) and add a second drag strap (longer one) near the neck area, for a second point of access, one that can be velcroed down. (in fact I recommend a velco patch sewn to your strap, with a second patch on the belt)

/EDIT: Where is your radio?

These are just the things I would change if I were to wear this setup. I admire your use of a simple belt/shoulder harness, and not going full "Blackhawk".
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

I love talking gear. (I will change my loadout based on you convincing me) Also, LOVE the fact that you place your gear below the waist.
doc Russia

Post by doc Russia »

Yogimus wrote:I would drop the neck knife, and place a knife opposite of holster, shrink the ear pro to the "bud" style ones that can go around the neck, add a source of water instead of the medkit (High pressure situations, you either tourniquet or its not important) and add a second drag strap (longer one) near the neck area, for a second point of access, one that can be velcroed down. (in fact I recommend a velco patch sewn to your strap, with a second patch on the belt)

/EDIT: Where is your radio?

These are just the things I would change if I were to wear this setup. I admire your use of a simple belt/shoulder harness, and not going full "Blackhawk".
Ideally, I would have the knife positioned at the left hip, butt forward, crossdraw style, but I just do not see a way to feasibly do that. If you have a suggestion, I am all ears. The downside to that, which is why I keep it hidden, is that theoretically, someone could make a grab for it easily. Yeah, everybody is supposed to be cuffed, but without more retention than a kydex friction lock, I am a little nervous. Again, I am open to suggestions.

As for the med kit.. I am their doctor. It's my role on the team. If I am not equipped for medical care, I don't have much business there. Now, I do have a sling bag which has a lot more gear than what is pictured, but what I have is what I want to have on me at all times.

I also have a camelbak Which is where I keep my water, and it has a couple of pockets where I keep some snacks.

The suspenders can act as a drag strap. I also usually wear a plate carrier which has a drag strap.

As for the radio....
grrr....
That is one piece of gear which every call-out they say they need to get me one, but since I always manage to make do without it (I am usually at the command post, after all), it always gets forgotten when time comes to requisition gear.
-Marcus Aurelius
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

You can always just walk in and grab one eh? Just don't return it after a call out or training.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.