DIY chest plate MKIII

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
HTRN

Re: DIY chest plate MKIII

Post by HTRN »

I thought Carpenter was the 800 lb gorilla among stainless manufacturers?

And Oh, Target Man is selling raw AR500 plates for 50-70 bucks. A coating of bedliner does nicely for a spall liner.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

HTRN wrote:I thought Carpenter was the 800 lb gorilla among stainless manufacturers?

And Oh, Target Man is selling raw AR500 plates for 50-70 bucks. A coating of bedliner does nicely for a spall liner.
I love this forum
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
toad

Post by toad »

I'm thinking about the Chinese laminated paper armor fore and aft breast plates. It was paper then lacquer then paper over a mold. It was water proof and actually stronger than the available metal armor of the time.
Perhaps shim stock instead of sheet metal could be used in a somewhat similar manner for chest plates??

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/119479 ... pound-1-lb
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Toad, all that stuff does is create a very thin layer of surface hardness... aka case hardening. That's not going to do you any good for armor.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

lacquered layers are pretty good if you add in a few solid sheets.