Lensatic compass

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
cageym

Lensatic compass

Post by cageym »

I was digging in one of the boxes still in my garage and I gound my old military compass. Mine was made in '84 so it's not one of the new plastic ones. Tossed it into my bugout bag.
RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE. It's voltage divided by current.

There is no such thing as overkill. There is only "Open fire!" and "Reloading!"
-John Ringo "The Hot Gate"
Whirlibird

Re: Lensatic compass

Post by Whirlibird »

Anybody know where to get an old one reconditioned?
Not my area of knowledge.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I never used the lensatic compass provided to me when I was in the army. I practiced with it so I would know how to use it, but I preferred to use my Silva Ranger. It's main advantage is that bearings are taken at arm's length instead of right next to the eye. This gives a longer sight radius and less error. It also has a declination adjustment, which I think should be mandatory on all compasses used for land navigation. Finally, It has a small mirror which is useful for emergency signaling or checking your camo makeup.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

We used Silvas, the issue ones were crap.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Denis

Post by Denis »

CByrneIV wrote:
CombatController wrote:We used Silvas, the issue ones were crap.
I had better compasses in scouts. ...
We had Silvas in scouts... I probably still have one hanging around somewhere.

When I was hunting recently, the forester on duty had an interesting service-issue gadget. A mobile phone with a flashlight built-in, and a compass function.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

CByrneIV wrote:I like the models Brunton made for the Air Force (and commercially). I still have a couple around somewhere. Apparently they're $300 now.
I don't think Brunton makes that model anymore - it was the "Pocket Transit" - Now there's a bunch of models of "Pocket transits" ranging from "very expensive"(Com-Pro pocket transit - $460), to downright obscene (Geo pocket transit $820). I do think the prices listed are not what you'll actually pay retail for. - the 2061 lists for $491, yet Amazon has it for $255.

Brunton Pocket Transits

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
cageym

Post by cageym »

Mine was made by Stocker & Yale in 1984, Cammenga bought the compass manufacturing from them in 1999 I think.

Edit: BTW, the Brunton was a surveyor compass/pcoket transit. You could use it for land nav of course but I'm not sure I would with that mirror on the inside cover that would depend on where you were. We did use them to lay in the drive on lines for our Satcom equipment though.
RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE. It's voltage divided by current.

There is no such thing as overkill. There is only "Open fire!" and "Reloading!"
-John Ringo "The Hot Gate"
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

We used Silvas in scouts, too. Mine's still with my camping gear. I have a GPS, and love it, but it will never fully replace a good map and compass.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
esa5444

Post by esa5444 »

Denis wrote:
When I was hunting recently, the forester on duty had an interesting service-issue gadget. A mobile phone with a flashlight built-in, and a compass function.
My phone has those features. It is a flip phone with an LED on the external cover (well inside it). The compass feature is in there somewhere too, kinda choppy, but I suppose useful. I use the GPS Navigation feature a lot more though, seeing as I live in the middle of a big city and all.

The best feature of it, though, is that it is waterproof, shockproof, and dustproof. It can be immersed in water and it will still work (I have done this a few times to prove my point, so it's not just a manufacturers statement). I also threw the phone full force into a brick wall once, and it didn't seem to have any issues.