ManPurse At The Range

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Netpackrat

Re: ManPurse At The Range

Post by Netpackrat »

Jered wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:
Jered wrote:How about a gas mask bag?
I wore one of those on my hip inside security at the international airport for several years, filled with wrenches, screwdrivers, and such. :mrgreen:
It worked for Indiana Jones!
You wouldn't believe the difficulty I had in finding a bag of suitable size (and which wasn't obviously a magazine/tactical pouch!), that had a top which closed securely enough that I wouldn't be losing tools all over the place. Those of you who have worked on airplanes will know that is considered to be a Very Bad Thing. Had one co-worker with a carpenter's belt who was notorious for losing tools all over the ramp. Never understood how he never got in trouble for losing one on the airplane. He was dumb enough to engrave all of his tools, so they would have led right back to him.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Netpackrat wrote:Never understood how he never got in trouble for losing one on the airplane. He was dumb enough to engrave all of his tools, so they would have led right back to him.
You probably answered your own question. It was easy enough for someone else to spot, pick up, and immediately identify that guy's tool as his, and thus hand it back to him before things went any further.

On a slightly related note...
randy

Post by randy »

CombatController wrote:Huh. Well I guess someone was on the ball....
Please Note: The CamelBak UAC is available only to law enforcement agencies & officers,
US Military, security companies, federal agencies, US government contractors and their employees.
WTFO! I guess this is an Only Ones special edition?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

randy wrote:
Please Note: The CamelBak UAC is available only to law enforcement agencies & officers,
US Military, security companies, federal agencies, US government contractors and their employees.
Thanks for that info. Now I can add CamelBak to the list of companies which I will NEVER purchase gear from. Same reason why I'll never buy anything from the "Tactical Tailor" since they have a policy against selling body armor to ordinary citizens.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Netpackrat wrote:
randy wrote:
Thanks for that info. Now I can add CamelBak to the list of companies which I will NEVER purchase gear from. Same reason why I'll never buy anything from the "Tactical Tailor" since they have a policy against selling body armor to ordinary citizens.
Two things. First lets back up a second. Is this Only Ones policy Camelbaks policy or botachs? I'm gonna do some searching and see if I can get an answer. Second I was unaware of Tactical Tailors policy but a quick visit to their site confirms it. Now to be fair there are a variety of reasons that one might have this policy. They may find it simply uneconomical to sell armor one piece at a time. I do know that there is an outfit in AZ, thought the name escapes me at the moment, that used to sell armor to everyone but started an Only Ones policy after one of their vests was found in the hands of a Mexican cartel.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

CByrneIV wrote:More Botach bullshit.
Im not sure your correct here Chris. While I was able to find the bag on ebay and am tempted to buy the thing just out of spite I found several other sites selling the pack with a similarly absurd disclaimer to Botachs. One even claimed that the pack was "federally regulated". I also found an AR-15 thread on the subject. On the second page there is an alleged copy of a letter from Camelbak about the issue. The bullshit is strong on this one.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

CByrneIV wrote:Yall do know that certain items produced for federal contracts can only be purchased by the list above, under the terms of that contract right?

It's not an "only ones" policy, it's part of federal contracting and purchasing rules.
I don't care. If they make a product that is legal for me to purchase and own, but will only sell it to my "betters" they will not sell ANYTHING to me. Now, if that's just a vendor's policy, that's different. Based on the poor reviews here, I doubt if I would ever order anything from that vendor anyway.

Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Kommander wrote:I do know that there is an outfit in AZ, thought the name escapes me at the moment, that used to sell armor to everyone but started an Only Ones policy after one of their vests was found in the hands of a Mexican cartel.
Fat lot of good that will do them. It's already illegal in many (most?) areas for criminals to possess body armor, and if they can't purchase it on the open market, they will still acquire it, probably in the same manner that your old vest got "acquired" a while back.

Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Netpackrat wrote:
CByrneIV wrote:Yall do know that certain items produced for federal contracts can only be purchased by the list above, under the terms of that contract right?

It's not an "only ones" policy, it's part of federal contracting and purchasing rules.
I don't care. If they make a product that is legal for me to purchase and own, but will only sell it to my "betters" they will not sell ANYTHING to me. Now, if that's just a vendor's policy, that's different. Based on the poor reviews here, I doubt if I would ever order anything from that vendor anyway.
I think you may be being a bit unfair here. In this case all a company is doing to following the contract that they agreed to. You could probably get a similar contract that said no gov/LEO sales if you paid them enough.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Kommander wrote:I think you may be being a bit unfair here. In this case all a company is doing to following the contract that they agreed to. You could probably get a similar contract that said no gov/LEO sales if you paid them enough.
If those are the terms they have agreed to, one price they will pay is never selling anything to me, besides just the restricted items. They probably don't care about that, but I do.