School Me: GPS units for hunting

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
blackeagle603

School Me: GPS units for hunting

Post by blackeagle603 »

Been looking at getting a handheld GPS unit for hunting and scouting walkabouts. This REI deal on the Garmin Oregon made me stop and think about it again.

I'm an old school topo and compass guy but the ability to load a handheld with BLM and Forest service maps is really appealing.

Keeping track of all the legal boundaries for hunting and shooting in this part of the country requires too much headwork to be fun -- and the cost of messing up can be high. I just don't want to drop big coin on a GPS unit that turns into more hassle setting up and running than it's worth.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story