A primer on files...

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
JAG2955

A primer on files...

Post by JAG2955 »

I only have a handful. Two medium cut half round about 12" long, and one 15" round that is nearly as rough as a rasp. All are secondhand or hand me downs. I also have a set of Craftsman needle files, which are awesome for the price.

What's the minimum set of files for a guy to have for general wood and metal working? And what brand/where should I buy them?
HTRN

Re: A primer on files...

Post by HTRN »

Files are consumables, like drill bits and end mills. Eventually they will go dull.

Good files, like Nicholsens are not cheap. A Machinist file set from them is around 60 bucks. Also, treat files like knives - don't let them bang into each other, that's how they get dull(it's also why files come wrapped in paper when you buy bulk boxes of them). Grobet files, made in Switzerland are good too.

Remember, files not only vary by size and shape, but also by cut, both how fine, and whether or not it's a double or single cut file. Then there's swiss cut files, who are cut at a shallower angle, and use a different grading system.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

HTRN wrote:Files are consumables, like drill bits and end mills. Eventually they will go dull.

Good files, like Nicholsens are not cheap. A Machinist file set from them is around 60 bucks. Also, treat files like knives - don't let them bang into each other, that's how they get dull(it's also why files come wrapped in paper when you buy bulk boxes of them). Grobet files, made in Switzerland are good too.

Remember, files not only vary by size and shape, but also by cut, both how fine, and whether or not it's a double or single cut file. Then there's swiss cut files, who are cut at a shallower angle, and use a different grading system.
Can I ask for a suggested minimum file arsenal? And what is your opinion on safe-edge files. It looks like I can get Nicholsens from Amazon or Home Depot, but they don't list any safe-edge files, which I'm interested in for gunsmithing.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I have a set of Nicholsons at work, I keep them in their sleeve kit so they never touch each other or anything else. That tool drawer has a collection of loose, and mostly dull files, too. Most of all the files in the maintenance shops are dead dull. Some people make the mistake of pressuring the file against the work during both forward and back strokes.

I've heard of some people using files to make knives, good or bad choice? Might be a good use for the dull ones.

Wood files are properly called rasps, aren't they?
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Mud_Dog

Post by Mud_Dog »

As a Gunsmith I have quite a few in my toolbox, I use a 12" Mill Bastard for a lot of applications. There are many other files I use all the time too: I have a 8" Mill Smooth file and a 16" Horse Rasp that don't get used too often, but they are very nice when the job calls for it. I have a large & small rat tail rasps, a #49 half round Rasp that shapes wood nice. I don't use any crosscut files but I have an old rusted one my Great grandfather owned. A small triangular file is pretty nice for dovetails.

For a basic set of files, I would have:

1 Mill Bastard
1 Half Round
1 Half Round Rasp
1 Rat tail rasp

as well as

Needle file set
Adjustable File handle
File card/brush

Just about all you really need for most jobs, you can branch out from there. Don't forget the right technique: Push the file to cut while holding the tip with your other hand, lift after the cut, don't pull backwards if it doesn't cut that way. Like hacksaw blades, you'll get a lot more use out of them that way, and your work should look neater. Also they chip very easily, and using them on hardened steel with dull them very quickly.
Obamalypse, Part II: The Armening. (-NPR)
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Darrell wrote: I've heard of some people using files to make knives, good or bad choice? Might be a good use for the dull ones.
Anza Knives uses files to make knives. I bought one of them when I was at a gun show the morning of the GunCounter Rapture Party.

MudDog, thanks for the list.