Luminox Watches

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Kommander

Luminox Watches

Post by Kommander »

My father, a longtime Luminox customer himself, has decided to get me a Luminox watch for my birthday. He has set a budget of $250ish so right now I am looking at the Colormark series. I know that the whole "Watch of the Navy Seals" thing is largely bullshit but I was sunrised to see the number of negative reviews over at Amazon. Additionally Luminox will apparently not honor the warranty if you get a watch from Amazon or one of their affiliates. However both my brother and father have had Luminoxs for a while and been happy with them. My fathers in particular lasted for 10 years before having to be repaired.

So what I would like to know is if you guys think that the Luminox watches are worth the price and if not what else I should consider. While I am sure that my father would buy another brand of watch I think he would prefer a Luminox due to our family history with the brand so any other brands would have to be vastly superior for the price for me to try to get him to go against his initial idea. Thanks as always.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Re: Luminox Watches

Post by Combat Controller »

Buy the Nite series of watches. They even have a NATO stock number and are in your price range. MX10 is what you are looking for IIRC. I have a limited edition I traded the CEO for but I have had zero problems with the two I own.

Great watches, good price. Double sapphire lens illuminates second hand and the 12 is marked in yellow on mine.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I have one, and like it a lot. I'm very hard on watches. I can either buy a Timex/etc. and replace it every year, or buy something like the Luminox and replace it far less frequently. My first one went for 7 or 8 years.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Dunno who made it for them but for almost the entire last decade I wore a digital RipCurl surfer tide watch. Not the same class of watch all ya'll are contemplating but it spent a ton of time in the surf, working on construction projects and autos with it.

I had an electro mechanical tidetracking version before that. It only lasted 3-4 years. On this last one, several batteries and ~9 years later I finally retired it to the drawer this spring. It ran out of years (as in it stopped counting up at 2010). Wasn't worth fussing with trying figure equivalent past years for matching to current tides/day of week. Plus with my international travel I'd screw it up inadvertantly when changing timezone when overseas. I'm wearing a Polar F6 at the moment but need to be careful with it -- doesn't have the metal body and thick bezel that Surf watch did.

The Son&Hier bought his dream G-shock watch right out of basic training last year. Lost it over the rail in a catwalk this spring during Operation Tomadachi while decontaminating/stripping off rubber/raingear. /heh Judging by his bank statement from time inport Sasebo he picked up a replacement on liberty at the NEX there.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

CC those night watches look interesting but are out of my price range.
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

Today's Woot is an Invicta Subaqua Stainless Steel Chronograph
Too hardware looking for me but others might like.
http://www.woot.com/
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Fivetoes wrote:Today's Woot is an Invicta Subaqua Stainless Steel Chronograph
Too hardware looking for me but others might like.
http://www.woot.com/
I have a different Invicta, it's pretty nice. I recommend a Tritium watch though, not the glow in the dark kind.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

I am sold on the Luminox at this point after reading some reviews over at lightfighter. Unfortunately now I want a Marathon SAR and a Ball too. DAMN YOU INTERNETS! During my research I was somewhat surprised to find so many conflicting opinions on various brands. While no one seemed to be as emotional invested as some people get about particular guns few brands seemed to have the kind of universal support that say Glocks or LaRue gets. One person would say that they have had a brand X for 10 years with no problems while their 2 brand Ys died in less than a year. Then another person would say that brand Y is great and brand X crapped out on them multiple times. I can't imagine that all these people are lying, but something weird is definitely going on.

Anyway back to the Luminox. Any color opinions? I know I don't want blue or green, and probably not the normal orange, but the SAR orange, standard white, red, and black out all have their positive points. My dad has a black out one and it is still quite readable despite the coloring. I also need to decide what kind of band I want to put on it. The blacked out Zulu I have on my Timex is nice, but I am thinking that I should get something with a bit more style here. I dislike metal bracelets though.
cageym

Post by cageym »

Kommander remember that most people that comment online do to complain. Very few people overall go to the trouble of making good comments. I guess it's because they are satisfied it works like it's supposed to.
RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE. It's voltage divided by current.

There is no such thing as overkill. There is only "Open fire!" and "Reloading!"
-John Ringo "The Hot Gate"
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

cageym wrote:Kommander remember that most people that comment online do to complain. Very few people overall go to the trouble of making good comments. I guess it's because they are satisfied it works like it's supposed to.
That was what how I figured the amazon ratings happened but I am talking about comments on dedicated watch forums.