Bug out bags & Swiss Army knife models

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Termite

Bug out bags & Swiss Army knife models

Post by Termite »

I decided to put a Swiss army knife in every vehicle. Also in the bugout bags I'm assembling, since the online stock BO bags seem to be expensive, and contain a lot of crap marketed to "survivalists".

I'm looking at the different SAK models, and the ones that strike me as most useful are the Tinker, Super Tinker, Deluxe Tinker, Mechanic, Handyman, and perhaps the Spartan. But what I can't see the use of is a corkscrew on a bugout bag tool. I'm not likely to be drinking wine in a temporary SHTF scenerio.

I'd also like ya'lls lists of stuff to go in the bags; keep in mind that these bags are not for 2 weeks in the woods, and the bags themselves are leftover used school daypacks that my kids have in their rooms. Mrs Termite and I were quite amazed how many bags there were when we went thru the house doing some spring cleaning.

Thoughts?
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
workinwifdakids

Re: Bug out bags & Swiss Army knife models

Post by workinwifdakids »

It seems like you're saying you'd like a car bag that would get you from Point A to Point B in a vehicle for a duration not exceeding 72 hours, and perhaps dismounted but only if circumstances dictate.

I don't know you, Termite, so forgive me in advance if I sound like I'm talking down to you. I'd rather give too much information than not enough.

For your stated scenario, anything aside from a Tinker is a waste of space, weight, and money. You want a folding blade, a can opener, a straight screwdriver, and a Philips-head screwdriver. The tweezers are great provided you exert force as near the pincers as possible. The reamer with a sewing eye is the only wasted item there, so that's the model you ought to go with. I don't know why you decided against a true multi-tool, but the pliers may be worth their weight in gold, so do please consider that.

For readability, I'll continue my remarks below...
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Rich

Post by Rich »

I've carried a Swiss Army Knife for most of my military career.

Here is what I've found most useful: Large blade, Phillips screwdriver, common screwdriver, awl, fish descaler/ruler (useful for untangling knots), magnifying glass (for the fine print on maps), file/metal saw/fingernail file, wood saw, corkscrew (sometimes wine is the only potable liquid available), and the toothpick.

If you can afford it, get the Champ.

The thing to remember is that the SAK is actually medium duty at best. For the real heavy duty jobs you will need something quite a bit bigger.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Here's a GOVERNMENT website (Bernalillo County, NM) which specifies how to put together a "GoBag".
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
workinwifdakids

What would I put in each bag, then?

Duct tape
Roll tightly around an old, de-activated credit card length-wise [3.5" x 2" x 5/16"]

Electrical tape
Roll tightly around an old, de-activated credit card length-wise [2 1/4" x 2" x 5/16"]

Inova Microlight (batteries removed); CR-2016 Batteries, Extra, 2EA; Chemstick, Yellow, 12 Hour, 3EA; Chemstick, IR, 1EA); Disposable Lighter, Bic brand; 550 Cord, 50FT; Emergency "Space" Blanket; Button Compass; P-38 Military Can Opener, Large; Swiss Army Knife, Tinker Model; Lightweight Tarp, Small; Aluminum Tent Stakes, 4EA; Sierra Cups, 1 3/4 cup size, 2EA; Lexan spoon, 1EA; Star Flash Signal Mirror; Storm Whistle; Storm Matches in a Waterproof Match Holder (Coughlan's, Coleman); Fresnel Lens; Flint and Steel; Ready Made Tinder (e.g., Quik Lite); Watch Cap, Wool; Water Bottle, One Gallon, New constructed of hard durable plastic (not the thin, flimsy plastic); non-perishable, non-melting food products with a shelf life of 1 year or greater (such as granola bars, individually-wrapped beef jerky, whole-meal style tuna kits, Gatorade);

Your car itself should have additional vehicle-specific items like a spring-loaded center punch, a seat-belt cutter, a medium-sized crowbar, heavy-duty work gloves, a fuse replacement kit, a quart of oil, a detailed street-level map of your city, a medium-detail map of your county, and state-specific maps of your state and those surrounding yours (for you: Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi), and some other things. Time for a late lunch. I'll chime in with some other things later.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Termite

Post by Termite »

Thanks, guys. Some good ideas there.

Workin',

I agree with you on the Tinker. But as for all the other stuff, while it's quite handy I was talking about individual bags for personal carry after driving/riding to where-ever. I don't think all that stuff will fit in the bags I have. They are mostly JanSport day packs; like kids use as book packs. They have to hold a change of clothes and toiletries, in addition to the other gear. As for why SAKs instead of Gerber/Leatherman multitools, the main reason is $$$, and SAKs can be more easily dropped into a pocket.
But you're right about the pliers. Hmmm.....I'll check with Horror Freight and see if they have some small inexpensive pliers.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
workinwifdakids

I promise, it will fit in the bottom HALF of a high-school type backpack. But I think I misunderstood your strategy. What would be the worst-case scenario you want these bags to fit?
--Weetabix
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I'd rather take a 1/2 or 3/4 used roll of duct and/or electrical tape and mash it down flat instead of wrapping it around anything.

That way you get "virgin stickiness".
cu74

Post by cu74 »

rightisright wrote:I'd rather take a 1/2 or 3/4 used roll of duct and/or electrical tape and mash it down flat instead of wrapping it around anything.

You can remove the paper/cardboard inner roll from the tape to make the "package" more compact - just takes a little time and patience.... :) .
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
workinwifdakids

rightisright wrote:I'd rather take a 1/2 or 3/4 used roll of duct and/or electrical tape and mash it down flat instead of wrapping it around anything.

Absolutely, and that's one of those things you have to consider: are you willing to trade that quality for time and space? I am, but not all feel comfortable with it, and that's all right. It's also worth mentioning that I'm open to being convinced in this and other threads later; no one's ego (least of all mine) should be wrapped up in personal survival.
--Weetabix