AR-15

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
D5CAV

Re: AR-15

Post by D5CAV »

For a .223 launcher, they work fine. I never had nor did I ever see a problem.

Problem is that the the M16 is a .223 launcher that weighs as much as a .308 launcher.

M16A2 weighs about 8.7 lbs. An M14 weighs about 9.5 pounds.

The M16A2 launches a 62gr projectile at 2900 fps. The M14 launches a 165gr projectile at 2800fps.

If the M16 weighed the same as an M1 Carbine, then I'd be more willing to put up with the deficiencies of the .223 round vis-a-vis the .308 round. Since I'm carrying something almost as heavy as an M14, I may as well carry an M14.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
workinwifdakids

Post by workinwifdakids »

Or just buy a new upper/lower in any caliber you want. For the OP, though, a lot has changed since those first units went out. They're very reliable now, even in the [strike]dust[/strike] [strike]sand[/strike] cornmeal powder of Iraq.
And may I say, from a moral point of view, I think there can be no justification for shoving snack cakes up your action.
--Weetabix
Mud_Dog

Post by Mud_Dog »

I used graphite for lubrication when I was in the sandbox, with no problems whatsoever. Like Workinwifdakids says, the "sand" over there was more related to talcum powder than your average beach sand. When using the CLP, it tends to suck up all that powder from the air and cause you problems.

Of course, if you cleaned it everyday there wasn't a problem but not many people actually do that. I only had to clean mine once a week unless I used it and there wasn't much evidence of the powder building up like there was in the oiled rifles.

Granted, I only fired approximately 2-3 mags out of my M16A4 at the ranges but I could guarantee there were no problems with reliability.

So if you properly clean and use the proper type and amount of lubrication there are almost no issues with any weapon system.
Obamalypse, Part II: The Armening. (-NPR)
oilcrash

Post by oilcrash »

Nary a problem from 4 years active in the Marine Corps with an A2, or my current 5+ months of training in the Guard with an A4. Nor have I had any problems with my AR except for a duh moment with the current build that cageym helped me troubleshoot at the range.