Are national events making you reconsider your CCW choice?

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Greg

Re: Are national events making you reconsider your CCW choic

Post by Greg »

National events are certainly encouraging me to speed up my timetable to move to a free state where I *can* carry, yes.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

When I'm off duty, I still carry a J-frame in my pocket. It's been more than I've needed for almost three decades.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Precision

Post by Precision »

Greg wrote:National events are certainly encouraging me to speed up my timetable to move to a free state where I *can* carry, yes.
That Sir, sounds like a great plan.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

I haven't changed anything. I usually carry a j frame and a reload or two. No place to stash a truck gun in the Suby without it being visible (unless I bought a @UB 2000). Like Greg, I'm hoping to get to a better place soon. I consider most of NY to be a "non-permissive environment" on general principle. At some point I plan to get a compact glock of some flavor. If I like it, that will become a firepower upgrade.
Precision

Post by Precision »

JKosprey wrote:I haven't changed anything. I usually carry a j frame and a reload or two. No place to stash a truck gun in the Suby without it being visible (unless I bought a @UB 2000). Like Greg, I'm hoping to get to a better place soon. I consider most of NY to be a "non-permissive environment" on general principle. At some point I plan to get a compact glock of some flavor. If I like it, that will become a firepower upgrade.
email me.

I have a product (two actually) that I have designed that allow me to carry a rifle in my Prius all the time with no one the wiser and is not so slow to access.

I will send you a beta if you will give me good feedback. By good, I mean, tell me the good, the bad and the WTF. Assuming of course NY allows rifles in cars by law.

And for the record, concealing a G-17 is NOT that much more difficult than concealing the G-26.

If some of the rest of you are interested, I can offer the same deal. I need feedback to improve / see that it works etc, before I go live on a mediocre product.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I've had a CCW for most of the last 35 years, and in all that time, it's been some species of 1911.

Truck gun might change, HD shottie might change (probably not), but the CCW is still gonna be some species of 1911.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

I don't carry a rifle in my car because I plan on using my car. Get off the "x", or dubdub the target.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Greg wrote:National events are certainly encouraging me to speed up my timetable to move to a free state where I *can* carry, yes.
DITTO.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

skb12172 wrote:
D5CAV wrote:
skb12172 wrote: What kind of ammo for the K98? FMJ, SP, other?
FMJ

OK, if you don't mind me digging into your business, what led you to that decision? Honestly curious, not criticizing. Economics? Availability? Something Else?
What Chris said.

I've thought about changing my load to .30-06 AP (black tip) to enhance hard target penetration, but have not for the following reasons:
1. AP is illegal in some areas
2. Most of the .30-06 that is available is 70 years old, and I don't trust the loading - I've gotten some misfires
3. The launchers for .30-06 AP that I would use are all too expensive to leave banging around in my trunk (M1 Garand, 1903 Springfield)

Per NPR's comment, I do have an old box of 8mm Winchester Silvertip with about 4 or 5 rounds missing that I have in the case with the Mauser. That is in case of "cop stops". In the unlikely event popo decides he needs to look inside my trunk, I can say "Why yes, officer, that is for deer hunting. I must have forgotten about that old thing after last deer season."

Popo would have to be really bored to decide to tear apart my trunk to find the FMJ in the bag under some old rags and jumper cables. He would really have to dig really hard to find the old K98 bayonet I have hidden away.

Thinking about the old K98 and musette bag begs an existential question: If tactical gear doesn't look 'tacti-cool', is it still 'tactical'?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Precision

Post by Precision »

JustinR wrote:I found a relatively new company called SnagMag through The Firearm Blog, and it's finally allowed me to start carrying a spare mag for my Kahr PM9.
What do you do with your pocket knife or car keys when you have the snagmag in your pocket?
I carry my knife strong side and my keys on the weak side. If I had a snag mag on the weak side and my folder on the right, getting keys becomes a serious pain.

Otherwise it seems like a good idea product.