What to put on the muzzle

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

What to put on the muzzle

Postby Rich Jordan » Fri May 12, 2017 4:18 am

I've used an AR with a ALG Defense Sidewinder brake on a 20" barrel, and it rather disturbs people in neighboring lanes at the range and was noticeable to me. I've also fired an RRA 16" heavy barrel with one of their brakes with nasty crenellations to scare people, but don't recall the side blast or concussion (been a few years). Nothing else I have has a 'muzzle device' on it so thats my total experience.

So for a 16" midweight AR, which is going to be my 'general purpose' AR (with a red dot or holosight, for fun, plinking, shorter range target, etc), what would you screw on the end of the barrel?

I've been reading up on brakes, birdcages, thread protectors, and the Novesky blast reducer/linear brake style but don't really have an idea on the impact (other than the birdcage is cheapest).

Thanks

Steamforger
On a list somewhere

Re: What to put on the muzzle

Postby Steamforger » Fri May 12, 2017 6:55 am

I don't know but I do run an 11.5" AR with an A2 brake and it is abusive.

I have a KAK Flash Can for a .300 BLK project that never materialized. It seems ok, but is 100% aluminium and I question it's long term survival. I haven't bothered with one in 5.56.
The Levang linear comp looks interesting, but I've read some reviews that mentioned the finish was sub-standard.
Everything else was near enough $$$ or more $$$ than the Noveske Flaming Pig.

The Noveske KX5 gets here this week.

AggieWalt
Case Shiner

Postby AggieWalt » Fri May 12, 2017 7:23 pm

I have a KAK type flash re-director on a blackout and it works. The break portion is steel but the cover is aluminum. But As was mentioned I am a bit skeptical on the longevity but it works for now.
Apathy rules with an iron fist so we must strike back with steel resolve.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Fri May 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

rightisright
Active Shooter

Postby rightisright » Sat May 13, 2017 1:55 am

If you don't want to drop the coin for a suppressor, you want a linear compensator like the Levang or Kaw Valley. They significantly reduce side and back blast. Or you could get a Ferfrans modular.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Sat May 13, 2017 3:24 am

Netpackrat wrote:https://silencerco.com/

Illinois. No silencers no how, unless the law changes, and the bad guys have large majorities in the legislature.

Candyman
Loose Cannon

Postby Candyman » Sat May 13, 2017 4:48 am

I like a three prong flash hider and have found that the old m16 style works great. 5.56 doesn't kick much and I really don't see a need for a muzzle break unless you are shooting 3 gun or have the need for quick follow up shots.
I have a lantac Dragon on one of my rifles and it works great. The rifle doesn't move when shooting. The bad thing is, no one wants to be your friend when your shooting. It's loud, very loud.
I just got my tax stamp for my SBR . I will be trying a few different muzzle devices to find one that I like.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Sat May 13, 2017 5:32 am

Thanks for the input. I've been doing more reading on the various linear comps. I think its down to a thread protector or one of the linear models, at least till I get a chance to try things. I don't have a need for a back-pressure increasing model like the Noveske. And the fellow with the RRA and its toothy brake is going to bring that rifle out next time we go to the range so I can't try it again.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Sat May 13, 2017 6:28 am

Rich Jordan wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:https://silencerco.com/

Illinois. No silencers no how, unless the law changes, and the bad guys have large majorities in the legislature.

Suckage... You could still maybe get a trust partner in an adjacent state, so you could visit your silencer on weekends or something.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Sat May 13, 2017 6:36 am

My brother is in KY. And hopefully we'll be retiring in a few more years. Options exist but I doubt I'll do a suppressor until we leave this state (or a miracle happens and the suppressor enabling law passes).

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Sun May 14, 2017 2:38 am

Ordered a Kaw Valley to try. So depending on how much time I want to spend swapping and testing, I'll have a 20" heavy (currently with ALG Sidewinder) and a new 16" mid build (with TBD muzzle feature), and the ALG Sidewinder, a birdcage, a thread protector cap, and the linear compensator to possibly swap around and test. Plus retrying the RRA, which turns out to be a 16" midweight with an RRA brake that apparently they don't make any more. We'll see what happens.

Darrell
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Darrell » Sun May 14, 2017 3:52 am

Do you want to modify the recoil impulse (muzzle brake) or quell the blast (flash hider)?

Back when I got my Kel-Tec PLR 16, when they first came out, Kel-Tec was promising a muzzle brake made for the gun, but hadn't released it yet. I put a Phantom flash hider on it, which worked very well. I did get the Kel-Tec muzzle brake once it became available. With that brake, the gun is extremely loud and produces huge fireballs, but hey, that's half the fun of such a gun. :P
Eppur si muove--Galileo

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Sun May 14, 2017 9:59 pm

Technically I should be leery of straight flash hiders due to local issues. Its a mishmash of different restrictions and rules depending on where you live drive through, shoot, etc. I didn't mind the brake on the 20" but I saw the folks in the next lane flinching and backing off while I was shooting (again, indoor range; outdoor is now a whole-day commitment due to distance, and I haven't had time lately). So its more of being neighborly. I expect the 16" will add some power to a brake's concussion and side blast, so just looking at the available alternatives.

Sometime later when I have the time (yeah right...) I could swap devices and test at longer ranges outdoors to see if there's any effect on accuracy. If there is, the 20" gets whatever is most accurate (its also getting the good scope when I can afford it), and the 16" will get what is nicest/most pleasant to shoot as long as its not a large negative to accuracy.

At least until a suppressor becomes a viable options...

Candyman
Loose Cannon

Postby Candyman » Mon May 15, 2017 12:28 am

Have you looked at the A2 Foxhole muzzle break?
https://rouschsports.com/shop/ar15-uppe ... zle-brake/
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Mon May 15, 2017 8:23 am

TheArmsman
Case Shiner

Postby TheArmsman » Mon May 15, 2017 10:49 am

This is what I currently have on my Rock River. Works damn good.

https://www.raven1tactical.com/ar15-acc ... brake.html
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.

Jered
Good Christ I Need A Life

Postby Jered » Tue May 16, 2017 2:19 am

A condom
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Tue May 16, 2017 5:57 am

TheArmsman wrote:This is what I currently have on my Rock River. Works damn good.

https://www.raven1tactical.com/ar15-acc ... brake.html

Thanks for the recco. I'm not sure I'll be putting a normal brake on another 5.56 at this point, but you never know. Got to do some testing with varying barrel lengths, etc.

TheArmsman
Case Shiner

Postby TheArmsman » Tue May 16, 2017 9:59 pm

Understood.

I have done double-tap head shots at a hundred yards with this one.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.

Rich Jordan
Trigger Junkie

Postby Rich Jordan » Wed May 17, 2017 5:37 am

Netpackrat wrote:Might be worth a look:

https://simplethreadeddevices.com/

That does look interesting especially for the shorter barrel (why use a 16" if you're going to stick a lot of inches of muzzle device on it?) Maybe after I test what I've got and the Kaw Valley one... I recently won an AR receiver in a contest so that will be a third gun needing barrel and parts...

Return to “Gear Talk and Tech”