Pretty Cool Beer Can Stove

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
Yogimus

Re: Pretty Cool Beer Can Stove

Post by Yogimus »

90% rubbing alcohol.

How do you keep the can from getting crushed by the pot
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I think that the bottom of the top piece needs to sit on the ridge of the bottom piece, and you need to use something smaller than a spaghetti pot.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Any of you CnC mofos have a way to make a heavy duty version of this
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

I will try many more times
Termite

Post by Termite »

Yogimus wrote:90% rubbing alcohol.
100% methanol works much better. Everclear works also; and for bonus points you can mix it with cola and drink it. ;)
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Yogi, if you look for "penny stove" designs, you will find much more refined, while more difficult to manufacture, designs. I used this one, which worked well.

Definitely did not use Tecate cans.
Jered

Post by Jered »

The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

I built one tonight, but I don't think I got the vapor chambers right. Also it looks like it'll be much easier to light it with a regular lighter. I was able to get a small flame to start with a flint & steel, but it wasn't very powerful.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Yogimus wrote:Any of you CnC mofos have a way to make a heavy duty version of this
If you mean Cash n Carry, yes:

Go to any plumbing store, buy 2" galvanized pipe about 2" long, and an endcap. If you can find it, 3" is even better. About $6-10 retail.
The resultant stove weighs maybe a pound, lasts forever, and will support your body weight even if you stand on top of it, let alone a pot of dinner.
If you know someone handy with a welder, they can tack fitting tubes around the top that'll allow you to put in 3-6 small L-shaped pieces of bent coat hanger to support a pot, or if you want to get fancy, hold the supports for a grill deck at the optimum flame height.

(Important safety tip: If you decide to market these, get a business license first, and maybe consider contacting the local FBI or BATFE first with a heads up about your business plan, as large-quantity purchases of short, large diameter pipe nipples and end caps may get you entirely the wrong sort of official notice from certain agencies. :lol: )
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Aesop wrote:If you know someone handy with a welder
You rang?

What? Not the stove you were looking for? :ugeek:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop