Skool Me On Boot Sox

The place for general talk about gun, shooting, loading, camping, survival, and preparedness related tools and gear, as well as gear technology discussion, gear reviews, and gear specific "range reports" (all other types of gear should be on the back porch).
rightisright

Re: Skool Me On Boot Sox

Post by rightisright »

I came across a few opinions that believe the Costco socks are indeed Smartwool w. the Kirkland name on them.

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/fo ... 130169&st=
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-k ... a-1068041/

I don't have any to compare them to, so YMMV.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

We do have a Costco around here. For that price, I would be willing to join. Is this something they regularly carry?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Greg

Post by Greg »

skb12172 wrote:We do have a Costco around here. For that price, I would be willing to join. Is this something they regularly carry?
They seem to he seasonal items. I don't think they have them in-store now, but I think they have them every winter. Or have had them every winter for several years running.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

randy wrote:
JAG2955 wrote:Even when I'm not an active duty Marine anymore, I will continue to buy and wear these socks.
FIFY

Once a Jarhead, always a Jarhead. ;)
Amen, Brother! Preach the Word!!!!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I call my Smartwool socks "my precioussss."
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
morsetaper

Post by morsetaper »

Netpackrat wrote:
skb12172 wrote:For both cold
Wigwam 40 Below
and warm weather, please.
:?:
That's what I wear, year 'round. And it tends to get quite warm here in the summer. I'll add a liner if it gets really cold.
morsetaper

Post by morsetaper »

Greg wrote:...you just shouldn't wear cotton socks.
Cotton is rotten, but wool is cool.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

One final question, please. What is tne preferred percentage of wool in the blend? What is the least acceptable? I am finding from 18% to 85% wool in various brands.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

More wool is always better. Nothing that isn't at least 50% is a "wool" sock, IMHO.

I have no problem with a few percentage points of things like poly and nylon to increase wear and resilience, or ease regular care and maintenance;
but don't sell me majority plastic at prices like it's custom combed lambswool from high in the Alps microscopically sorted by 14-year old Swiss virgins, when all they're doing is jacking up the price for throwing in a few tufts of goat sweepings from the local petting zoo.

The best synthetics are purposefully designed to duplicate the exact properties of sheep fur, and sheep have helpfully been around for several millennia to simplify the arrangement.

The only acceptable excuse for other arrangements is if one is allergic to actual animal wool. In which case I counsel lower altitudes and latitudes as a matter of course when possible, and expensive wonder socks when not.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Greg

Post by Greg »

Aesop wrote:
The only acceptable excuse for other arrangements is if one is allergic to actual animal wool. In which case I counsel lower altitudes and latitudes as a matter of course when possible, and expensive wonder socks when not.
I have a mild wool allergy. Skin contact with raw wool causes my skin to turn bright red and get very itchy, and for me to start feeling a little less than ideal in general.

The less raw the wool, the better. I have no problem with typical merino wool sweaters (I once found Brooks Brothers having a clearance on their merino wool sweaters and bought a closet full) though after several hours they can start to feel a little 'scratchy' so I prefer to wear them with a long-sleeve undershirt if possible.

I wear the Costco wool socks every day with no issues whatsoever and have been doing so for quite some time now.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr