Gustav Refugees and New Shooters

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
First Shirt

Gustav Refugees and New Shooters

Post by First Shirt »

When Gustav started rolling in, my stepson, his wife and munchkins (3), her sister, husband, and one munchkin, and three friends all descended on Rancho Imperfecto to ride it out. One day while they were here, we (the guys) went out back and were plinking with .22s. I'd gone to the house for something, and saw the girls standing on the back porch looking wistful, so I offered to babysit while they went and shot. In unison, they turned to me and said, "But we don't know how!"

Well, hell, we can fix that!

Put the dads to work baby-sitting, and we started with The Four Rules, made sure the eyes and ears were in place correctly, and set up targets at 15 meters. Using The Boss's GP-100 and .38 wadcutter loads, they were soon ventilating paper with a vengence. Progressed to .38 +P loads, and they still had no problems. Finally went to full-house .357s, and moved back to 25 meters, where they continued to hit COM on tombstone targets. I don't know if it was the gun, the loads, or the superior quality of their instruction, but they did really well for beginners, and now they both want GP-100s of their own.

All in all, it was a good day. And when they left, they promised that next time they'd have their own guns to shoot!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Erik

Re: Gustav Refugees and New Shooters

Post by Erik »

Great! :D
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
randy

Post by randy »

Sierra Hotel!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
cu74

Post by cu74 »

First Shirt wrote: And when they left, they promised that next time they'd have their own guns to shoot!
Good job on finding/training new shooters. You may not have made points with the parents, though - now they have to come up with the money for the guns :lol: .
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

OUTSTANDING!!! And I'm sure you didn't pass up the opportunity to let them know if the Smelly-Man gets his way, they won't be able to buy & have handguns to protect themselves.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Great job! Soon we will be able to roll back all the silly laws too!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
FastRope71

Post by FastRope71 »

I love the smell of newbie shooters, it smells like.... cordite. Cordite and victory.
If you are unwilling to give another man freedom in his life, do not expect to have it in your own.
It surely beats trying to figure out what the metrosexuals want ( a good hard kick in the nuts in my opinion, but that won't sell ice cream :D )- Highspeed