New shooter report

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Rod

New shooter report

Post by Rod »

Posted over at gunthing also:

Have a lady friend who I talk to regularly, helped her when she brought her first gun. She asked me if I’d teach her 13 year old daughter how to shoot. The daughter wasn’t sure if she wanted to use a pistol or a rifle. Met them at the range today, took the Buckmark, Marlin .22 semi-auto with scope, G-22, and the Nylon 66. Also took my wife’s .38 and my S&W Model 19 snubbie. forgot the damn ammo though so I bought 700 rounds of American Eagle .22 LR and a 50 round box of American Eagle .38 Special.

I talked to the young lady and gave her the 4 rules. I then showed her how each weapon operated and went over the 4 rules again. I then led her through the loading procedure for the Buckmark, how to aim, breathing, and trigger pull. Went over the 4 rules one last time then showed her how to load the magazine and the Buckmark. Target was a bulls eye target backwards, with a black dot in the center, at 5 yards. The first three rounds went high, right over the box. After that she started hitting the paper around the black dot. She enjoyed that so much I decided to try her with the Model 19, figuring it’d be easier on recoil for her. showed her how to load it, grip, and how to double action it. She fired 5 rounds and spread them all over the place.

Next step was pasting a Shoot N See on the box and showing her how to load the G-22. She was hitting pretty good with it but wasn’t real enthusiastic about it. I showed her how to sight a scope on a rifle, and how to load the Marlin. She fell in love with it and started shooting under my watchful eye. After about 50 rounds from the Marlin and another 20 or so from the Buckmark, I decided she needed a new target. Put another Shoot N See up and she proceeded to fire another 20 rounds from the Model 19, then went through at least another hundred rounds with the Marlin. I had to leave then so we packed up, she got the target to hang up in her room and we all went home.

I suggested that the mom get a pellet pistol and rifle for her to be able to practice at home. The mom thought she could work that out.

Got a call from the mother blaming me for what happened next. Her daughter NOW wants a .38 AND a .22 rifle with scope. I have to take mom out next week and find a nice starter rifle with scope for the young lady. Our next Olympic shooter?
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Jeff Wood

Re: New shooter report

Post by Jeff Wood »

Excellent work, Rod.

You in the US are the last best hope, again. To stay that way, every competent shooter in America must make it his or her business to take someone to the range for the first time, at least once a year.

Even if your pupil doesn't take up arms, it should be another anti-gun vote off the list.