Another reporter fired rifle first time & wets his pants

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
evan price

Another reporter fired rifle first time & wets his pants

Post by evan price »

https://m.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/shots ... d=33532211
It is difficult to describe the impact — physical and personal — of that first shot. It felt like a meteor had struck the earth in front of me. A deep shock wave coursed through my body, the recoil rippling through my arms and right shoulder with astounding power. Being that close to an explosion of such magnitude — controlled and focused as it was — rattled me.

I composed myself and continued to fire round after concussive round, the puffs of acrid gunpowder smoke carried downrange by a powerful ventilation system. My accuracy gradually improved until it became easier to hit the target with the rifle from 25 yards than with the pistol from five.

It was exhilarating, but I never got comfortable firing it. I'm not sure what scared me more — the power of that weapon or the fact that I could have taken one home that day.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
randy

Re: Another reporter fired rifle first time & wets his pants

Post by randy »

What a Maroon.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

1 it's at an indoor range, where shooting an AR is seriously not fun.
2 it is in Vermont, what did you expect?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
g-man

Post by g-man »

Seriously, a "high-powered, semiautomatic AR-15-style rifle" fires "round after concussive round"? God help him if somebody in the next lane lights off a 30.06 indoors. I had to sight in SWMBO's 1903 sporter, and the report from that thing indoors can definitely be onomatopoeized as "BA-BOOM!!!!!", but an AR? Even indoors, it's loud "POP, POP, POP" at best.

Sensationalist journalist is sensational. Quelle surprise.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

g-man wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:32 pm but an AR? Even indoors, it's loud "POP, POP, POP" at best.
I dunno, I've been around some braked ARs that were fairly obnoxious, even outdoors.. Still, they still weren't as bad as a braked 7 mag. That thing put my thumper to shame for teeth rattling. Yeesh.
Last edited by HTRN on Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
g-man

Post by g-man »

Yeah, with brakes they could be louder, but it's still not full battle-rifle loud. The pics in the article show the author shooting a H&K with a milspec birdcage. Also, you either have 'stupid loud AR' and no real recoil, or vice versa, not both. He's a self-avowed 'Not a gun guy' who puts his politics on display before the end of the 2nd paragraph. Meh.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

g-man wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:39 am Yeah, with brakes they could be louder, but it's still not full battle-rifle loud. The pics in the article show the author shooting a H&K with a milspec birdcage. Also, you either have 'stupid loud AR' and no real recoil, or vice versa, not both. He's a self-avowed 'Not a gun guy' who puts his politics on display before the end of the 2nd paragraph. Meh.
+1

The should have set up a 12 year old girl in the next lane shooting the same set up for comparison.
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Vonz90 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:35 pm
g-man wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:39 am Yeah, with brakes they could be louder, but it's still not full battle-rifle loud. The pics in the article show the author shooting a H&K with a milspec birdcage. Also, you either have 'stupid loud AR' and no real recoil, or vice versa, not both. He's a self-avowed 'Not a gun guy' who puts his politics on display before the end of the 2nd paragraph. Meh.
+1

The should have set up a 12 year old girl in the next lane shooting the same set up for comparison.
They need to get Autumn from ‘Autumn’s Armory’ :twisted:
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

The first indoor range? Holy cow.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
BDK

Post by BDK »

How do we slip these guys a 600OK or 505 Gibbs instead?

Since they hate us, anyway, we could at least make them feel inadequate when they see videos of small children running ARs.