What scope for a G3?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Vonz90

What scope for a G3?

Post by Vonz90 »

Not enough gun related threads lately, so I am going to start one. I sent my G3 off to get a rail welded on and the rifle refinished and a polymer lower (one of the good German ones). I had the trigger worked over when I bought it back in the day, so that is good to go.

When it gets back (Lord knows when with everything going on) I plan on putting a Spuhr buttstock like this on, that will work with a scope better than the standard one. https://www.milehighshooting.com/spuhr- ... -assembly/

I may also put a different for forend on it. I have the wide style, but it is green and I am switching all the furniture to black and I think I may want a vertical grip, but that is TBD.

The real question is, what freaking scope? I have sort of two minds on it.

On the one hand, I think a 1x6 or 1x8 scope would be a great fit for the rifle. On the other hand, I have scout scopes on my k98 and AR; I am happy them and for continuity it might make sense to do the same - the issue being the charging handle clearance might be tight.

For intended purposes: plinking, maybe hog thumper if I get another chance to go hog hunting, back up deer rifle and SHTF rifle if the SHTF some day. I rarely take hunting shots past 150 yards, but the rifle has always shot well and should be a 400 yard gun at least, so I don't want to preclude that if I had the need.

Budget, TBD but I doubt I would go over $500 by much.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Vonz90 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Wheelgun

Re: What scope for a G3?

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Primary Arms 1-6 or 1-8 with their ACSS reticle. I have the 1-6 with the ACSS reticle for .300 BO / 7.62x39 on my Mutant and I think it is a very good all-purpose scope. It is functionally equivalent to a red dot at 1x and allows range-finding and BDC out to 600 yards, which is a lot farther than I’ll likely ever try to shoot anything.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Friend of mine has a pair of Nightforce 1-8s and he loves them. I have a Trijicon Accupower (but only a 1-4) on my SBR AK but I haven't put enough time in with it to really form a good opinion yet. I need to do that in order to decide if I want to put another one on my new 16" build, or get something else.

Re: the Primary Arms, et al... After the Leatherwood CMR I initially bought for my AK shit the bed, I am pretty much done with cheap scopes for serious rifles.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

I have an SWFA 1-4 on my K3P that I turned into an SBR.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Vortex maybe? a 1-8 seems like it would be great for a general purpose rifle.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Vortex makes a 1-10 Razor but the price is kinda obscene.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Combat Controller wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:59 pm Vortex maybe? a 1-8 seems like it would be great for a general purpose rifle.
I thought I read that some of there models were losing zero, did that get fixed?
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

No idea. I would say probably as they are a pretty good brand overall.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Well it arrived back. The work looks pretty good although the finish is maybe a bit more glossy than I wanted, but I picked the pallet # so likely my fault.

I want to test it so even though I have not bought a scope for it yet, I dropped a 2x7 that uses to be on my son's 243 before they outgrew it. Hopefully we can see what it does tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ulrickaka

Post by ulrickaka »

Threes Strikes and I'm Outta Heah!!!!