What to get next?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Vonz90

What to get next?

Post by Vonz90 »

So it is my b-day here shortly and I am going back and forth on how to reward myself for surviving half a century. My thoughts- in more or less order I am leaning;

Glock 27 or 26
A nice sporterized Mauser
A PTR-32
A revolver in 41 mag or maybe 357
A scope for my AR

Any comments from the peanut gallery?
Steamforger

Re: What to get next?

Post by Steamforger »

Mine is in November, but I think I may get me this.

From your list you could do Glock 27 Gen 4 and probably some glass for the AR like a Strike Eagle.
randy

Post by randy »

Since this is a treat, I would steer towards something on your list that is there not for practicality (need it for hunting or fill in a self-defense armory hole) but mostly for fun or because you just always wanted one.

From your list, for me that would be the Revolver in .357. I love my S&W Model 19 and would like a Model 66 or a Colt "just because". Yes it would do for defensive use, but I have Glocks and Brownings to fill that role. I just like them and have fun shooting them.

Without the "why" those are on your list, I can't really comment further except to say that Darlin' Daughter has a Glock 26 and loves it, and I'm not into sporterized weapons, would prefer a Mauser in the original military format, but I don't hunt these days and when I did it was with a shotgun.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Any kind of Barrett. Or Ammo. Or a 1911 (Caliber yr Choice). Or a Mustang. Or a Corvette. Or my favorite, a SuperBird. Hell, a 1969 Dart 340! Or a Sears MoPed.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Something NFA?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

What's your AR used for? DO you already have other optic equipped long guns?

If you don't already have an optic on it and have the money for a reasonable one, they make a huge difference, especially for 50+ eyes. I've shot ARs with a Vortex Strike Eagle scope and a Lucid red dot recently and they cut my group size in half compared to the Magpul sights.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Definitely something in .50 cal... If a Barrett isn't in the budget, perhaps call up Silencerco and order a Maxim 50.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Once I get the Senior Minions 1911s finished, my next one will either be a Redhawk in .45 Colt/.45 ACP, or a real beater Garand. The Garand will go to Tim Shufflin to be turned into a 7.62x51 Mini-G.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

The why question is a reasonable one, so:

Glock 27 or 26 - because they look interesting and maybe I want more rounds than my LC9

A nice sporterized Mauser - I have an as issued K98 with a scout scope that I have made my regular deer rifle, Just thinking I may like a lighter version of the same with a higher powered scope to give me options

A PTR-32 - probably over what I want to spend this five minutes but I don't have a 7.62x39 rifle and I don't like AKs

A revolver in 41 mag or maybe 357 - because I don't have a revolver

A scope for my AR - it is a plinker M4-gery with a mid length handguard that I bought because I had all the magazines and accessories for one when I came back from A-stan. I would like to shoot it more and my eyes are slowly getting worse.
Last edited by Vonz90 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

Vonz90 wrote:The why question is a reasonable one, so:

Glock 27 or 26 - because they look interesting and maybe I want more rounds than my LC9

A nice sporterized Mauser - I have an as issued K98 with a scout scope that I have made my regular deer rifle, Just thinking I may like a lighter version of the same with a higher powered scope to give me options

A PTR-32 - probably over what I want to spend this five minutes but I don't have a 7.62x39 rifle and I don't like AKs

A revolver in 41 mag or maybe 357 - because I don't have a revolver

A scope for my AR - it is a plinker M4-gery with a modular length handguard that I bought because I had all the magazines and accessories for one when I came back from A-stan. I would like to shoot it more and my eyes are slowly getting worse.
Another way to scratch that 7.62x39 itch is the CMMG Mutant. It's a cross between an AR-10 and an AR-15 along with the two best parts of the AK-47, the ammo and magazines. I've had one for almost two years now, and I'm very happy with it.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives