Got something odd

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Cybrludite

Got something odd

Post by Cybrludite »

I have to confess to a love of oddball guns. This time it may have bit me on the ass. The Academy Sports up the road a little ways has had a Remington R51 in the case for a while now. Price finally got down to where I was willing to take a stab at it. It's of the second run, not the disastrous first batch. Haven't gotten to the range yet, but it seems to have no trouble hand-cycling 115grain ball or 124 grain S&B hollow points.

Pluses: light, compact, disappears in the pockets of my khakis, grip actually fits my meathooks.

Minuses: field stripping & reassembling the fucking thing makes me nostalgic for the simple and intuitive procedures for doing that with the Ruger Mk. III 22/45 I used to have. It may end up as a safe queen or trade fodder just for that.
20180209_104622.jpg
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Weetabix

Re: Got something odd

Post by Weetabix »

Don't clean it. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Weetabix wrote:Don't [strike]clean[/strike] shoot it. ;)
FIFY.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Find THE single 9mm loading it likes and only shoot that.
Before each range trip inspect the frame shoulder that the breach block impacts, look for peening.
Why they cheaped out and didnt press a steel locking shoulder into the frame..... :roll:
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Retire it as a safe queen. In 20 or so years, it's going to be worth a TON more than you paid for it!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Greg

Post by Greg »

What exactly has you convinced the second batch is 'better'? :?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

You're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Well, there's the whole "price dropped to where it was worth taking the chance" thing. :lol:

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

How cheep are we talking? Hi point cheep?
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

slowpoke wrote:How cheep are we talking? Hi point cheep?
Damn near. Pretty sure I got close to the wholesale price.