Lever-action for home defense

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

Re: Lever-action for home defense

Post by Netpackrat »

Having the ability to mount a light on my Marlin is worth its weight in gold.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote:Having the ability to mount a light on my Marlin is worth its weight in gold.
I will defer to more actual experience with weapons lights, particularly on a lever action. Would you care to list out the benefits for the sake of the discussion?
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

The Ruger 96/44 might be a good choice if one can find higher capacity magazines for them.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Vonz90 wrote:The Ruger 96/44 might be a good choice if one can find higher capacity magazines for them.
AFAIK, the various rugers that use the rotary 44 mag have no other option available besides the factory mag
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

tfbncc wrote:http://www.rangerpointprecision.com/mar ... 0mm-357sig

I'll just leave this here...
Fixed link here

And on a personal note: 10mm is best mm
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Y'know, that's really neat and all that, but $2400 for a Marlin? Really? I mean, seriously? I love the little twerp, but I'm also fond of eating regularly, and sleeping indoors, so this probably ain't gonna happen!

And it's gonna be a .45 Colt!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

randy wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Having the ability to mount a light on my Marlin is worth its weight in gold.
I will defer to more actual experience with weapons lights, particularly on a lever action. Would you care to list out the benefits for the sake of the discussion?
Bears are quite active at night, and out in the middle of BFE, it is much less likely to muzzle something you don't want to muzzle, when using your rifle as a flashlight. And then when you find the thing that might need to be put down right fucking now, conveniently you are already pointing your rifle at it. I find that with the light on, I can see the silhouette of my sights enough to be useful. Running a firesight front on the Guide Gun, so maybe that makes a difference.

Even just walking from the cabin to the outhouse, it is a comfort.

Perhaps FS' minion is not in the same situation, but a bump in the night in his area could easily be something that would benefit from being illuminated.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Netpackrat wrote:
randy wrote:
Bears are quite active at night, and out in the middle of BFE, it is much less likely to muzzle something you don't want to muzzle, when using your rifle as a flashlight. And then when you find the thing that might need to be put down right fucking now, conveniently you are already pointing your rifle at it. I find that with the light on, I can see the silhouette of my sights enough to be useful. Running a firesight front on the Guide Gun, so maybe that makes a difference.

Even just walking from the cabin to the outhouse, it is a comfort.

Perhaps FS' minion is not in the same situation, but a bump in the night in his area could easily be something that would benefit from being illuminated.
She's not likely to encounter bears (not impossible, but not likely) her problems are more likely to be coyotes, feral hogs, feral dogs, or smaller vermin like raccoons or possums, possibly with rabies. In any case, I'd like for her to have the ability to light it up while still keeping both hands on the long gun.

Now that ability has gone from a "nice-to-have" to a requirement!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

A 20 gauge shotgun might have a lot going for it in this application.