How to turn rimfire shooting into drudgery:

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
SoupOrMan

Re: How to turn rimfire shooting into drudgery:

Post by SoupOrMan »

I bought a couple of boxes of Remington bulk when the local stores had run out of Federal bulk and Mini-Mags. Now that my decent ammo stockpile is back I can burn through the boxes of Remington. It's frustrating ammo to say the least.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Had problems with Rem rimfire for years; inconsistent priming. Pulled bullets on a lot of FTF .22's and found a glob of priming compound in one spot, not distributed around the rim. Either not wet enough for capillary action to suck it around the rimspace or they don't spin the case after priming to distribute the compound even remotely evenly. This goes back into lots purchased in the 1980's. I'll still shoot up the old stuff to punch paper for fun but dammit when I'm hunting meat I'll use old Winchester or current Federal or ANY vintage CCI.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I have a few bricks of Remington stashed away. I am saving them for SHTF to trade with someone I don't like. :)
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Remington is like Jekyll and Hyde: Same lot number, one dud out of 100 Golden Bullet rounds (struck it in 4 different places on the rim and it didn't fire) through my Ruger, with 3 needing restrikes. I then ran another 50 rounds of Golden Bullet through my Marlin with two rounds needing a restrike and no duds. Then I finished off the remaining 60 rounds of Remington Subsonic in my Marlin with no duds or restrikes at all.

Accuracy was what I made of it. 95% of the shots hit inside 4" center mass at 10 yards with the pistol firing rapidly and the same at 25 yards with the rifle. No bench, no support, just trying to fire as fast as the sight picture came up.

Subsonic ammo is scary-quiet out of that old Marlin. The loudest part of the shot is the bullet hitting the backstop. The second loudest part is hearing the bolt push another cartridge into place. I may have to invest in some quality subsonic ammo for that rifle.

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Replenished the rimfire this week with a brick of Federal bulk and CCI subsonic. Holy crap is firing subsonic out of that Marlin fun.

I also picked up some more snakeshot for my J-frame for fishing season. No more copperheads checking out the boat this summer!