Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Rich Jordan

Re: Thinking about a 7.62x51 semi-auto rifle

Post by Rich Jordan »

One advantage to an AR platform is the ease of changing barrels. I could buy a longer barrel now, and in a few years when we retire to a state that is suppressor friendly, get a shorter one set up for the suppressor.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I got a call earlier this week and it hurts to even talk about it.

My old dept has a couple of M-14's that have been hanging around for a long time. They got them on the 10-33 program apparently.

A friend called whoever you call for these things and told them they could come get the M-14's back as they hadn't used them in decades.

[spoiler]They're coming out to torch cut them this next week.[/spoiler]
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I wish that was surprising. Its a shame that they can be disassembled and the parts kit sold so only the receivers are destroyed. GI parts in very good or better shape are getting pricey and scarce.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Steamforger wrote:I got a call earlier this week and it hurts to even talk about it.

My old dept has a couple of M-14's that have been hanging around for a long time. They got them on the 10-33 program apparently.

A friend called whoever you call for these things and told them they could come get the M-14's back as they hadn't used them in decades.

[spoiler]They're coming out to torch cut them this next week.[/spoiler]
Boo!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Unfortunately, BATFEs policy of "once a machinegun, always a machinegun" pretty much sealed their fate.

I'd scoop up the rest of it, and ship it off to Fulton Armory. :ugeek:
Last edited by HTRN on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I can neither confirm nor deny parts scavenging was discussed.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I bought an Adams Arms SF-308 last week. It's a piston gun with an adjustable gas block. The guy I got it from had put a MagPul ACS stock on it, and upgraded the trigger. Different forearm and flash suppressor from the linked rifle. He also put 45deg flip up MBUS on it, but I forgot to try those. I had a Burris MTAC on a QD mount that I dropped on it.

Went to my buddy's range and zeroed it at about 80 yards, then went to his longer range. We were making RR tie plates dance and breaking a few. Moved to his 240 meter mark and we were getting pretty good hits. I had Malaysian surplus ammo, so I'm blaming for the misses from there. ;)

Impressions:

Much more fun to shoot than an AR15, though I couldn't put my finger on exactly why.

I like the Magpul ACS stock a lot. I could get a better cheek weld than with other stocks I've used. The lever that locks it into position after you've adjusted it did take a lot of wobble out. It has battery storage, if that matters.

I don't really prefer the reticle on the Burris I have. I think I'll get something else and not have the QD mount.

I need to take it somewhere with a good bench and some good ammo to see what I can do with it. I know it's better than I am.

I am very pleased with it. I've moved more to the "buy once cry once" philosophy, and I think this is a keeper.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

A new left-hand M14-alike has been released:

I don't think I'll give it consideration; too many special one off parts, though the thought of having an actual left hand rifle is appealing (I'm strongly right handed but my right eye, 'e no working so good' so I have to shoot off the left shoulder). Its still an interesting thing to see.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I don't remember if I mentioned that I got an Adams Arms SF308. Mostly you guys' fault.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Yep

I still haven't purchased one, some indecisiveness on the type but mostly a couple of unexpected large bills came in and forced a delay. Plus a deal on a generator that I didn't pass up.

I still think it'll be an M14-alike rather than an AR10.