School me on aftermarket AR triggers

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

School me on aftermarket AR triggers

Post by Weetabix »

The triggers in my AR's are nothing to write home about. I'd like to try an aftermarket trigger. I'm still in the learning stage of AR's, so I don't want a very expensive trigger to put in a not expensive AR. And I don't need one that's terrifically better than I am.

I've heard of Geiselle but never shot one. They sound expensive, but I suppose I could move one later.

An admittedly cheap coworker likes ALG Defense triggers.

Someone mentioned somewhere that they like LaRue triggers.

So, what are your favorites? What bad things have you experiences with others?

Fire away!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Precision

Re: School me on aftermarket AR triggers

Post by Precision »

ALG is the down line choice from Geiselle. ALG are his wife's initials. They used to be the same triggers but the ALG ones had not been QC tested in any way, shape or form. Where the actual high dollar ones had been specd and checked.
Now they are completely different triggers.

I have the SSA-E and absolutely love them, so much so I bought a second one. They are a two stage trigger but total pull weight (IIRC) is 3.5#, so pulling through both stages is no big deal.

I use one on my FTR gun and the other on my 3 gun rig.

PSA often has a sale where you get the trigger and 10 magpul mags for $249. Worth it

There are lots of other triggers, some are good some are not. Some are good for your use but not for mine. Narrowing down the desired use might help a bit with suggestions.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

It's just for range use. I don't really do anything else with them right now.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I only have experience (in ARs) with the GI trigger, RRA two-stage match, and the LaRue MBT. Never tried a Gieselle.

The LaRue comes with two trigger springs that let you vary the pull (4.5 or 6 lbs from their website; I don't have a gauge) and the two rifles I have with MBTs are very crisp, with very little over travel. Better than the RRA, but the RRA is decent enough. They occasionally go on sale for $99.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I've got a couple RRA triggers. Maybe I'm not picky enough but am happy as a clam with them -- good enough I haven't looked at others. Bought one for a 3rd lower.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

The PSA enhanced trigger group ($29 usually) is actually pretty damned smooth. I have a couple installed and like them.
Captain Wheelgun

Post by Captain Wheelgun »

I'm pretty happy with the Chip McCormick trigger that I installed in my CMMG Mutant. They're often one of the more expensive choices, but I found a good deal last year.
"What is this, the Congress Avenue Independence Day Parade?" - Capt. Karl von Stahlberg, RTN
Republic of Texas Navy Archives
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I have the Geissele G2s in my 300 Blackout SBR and I like it. It has a similar pull as the Power Custom/RSA trigger in my AKs, but isn't adjustable and costs twice as much. :|

If you are willing to wait for sales (Black Friday, etc) you can usually get them discounted down to maybe $30 more than the RSA AK trigger goes for. :lol:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

ALG and Giesselle generally have Black Friday specials. LaRue _may_. RRA has been having more specials lately than in the past but I don't know if their triggers have come up. Worth checking on this coming week.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

ALG ACT on sale at AIM Surplus for $55, so I bought one of those. I'll look for other sales. I'm not averse to trying a couple different things.

I think I'll look in to the PSA trigger as well.

If I get to shooting a lot, I'll look at more expensive triggers.