Help diagnosing failure to fire?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Netpackrat

Re: Help diagnosing failure to fire?

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, loud and clear. This is a relatively well known issue with Golden Tiger ammo and the AR-15. Mainly it has manifested itself with their .223 loadings simply because that's what most ARs are chambered in. In fact I have been asked when buying GT what kind of rifle I was going to use it in, because the salesman didn't want to deal with yet another AR owner complaining about failures to fire. Absolutely try some in an SKS (or AK) before spending money on parts, but when all is said and done, the solution will be to buy either an enhanced firing pin or an AK. :mrgreen:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Netpackrat wrote:There is nothing wrong with that ammo; it is just not made for use in AR-15 rifles. If you want to use it you will need to install an enhanced firing pin.

http://www.blackriflearms.com/AR-762x39 ... n_p_9.html
After your first post, I did some googling. Lots of people absolutely love the GT. That's what I thought I'd read when I bought it for my SKS.

I also found lots of forum posts about this issue saying, like you, that the enhanced firing pin was the way to go. So I ordered one. I found a link to Red X Arms, obviously before you posted your link. $10 and free shipping. I already got an email saying it had shipped.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Jered wrote:Can you pull the bullets out?
Any safety issues pulling a bullet with an impact puller once the primer's been hit?

Also, several of the posts I found said people were putting them back in and trying them again. One guy said he put it through his AR twice, then it fired in an AK.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Jered

Post by Jered »

Weetabix wrote:
Jered wrote:Can you pull the bullets out?
Any safety issues pulling a bullet with an impact puller once the primer's been hit?
Wear safety glasses

You can probably just grab the bullet with a pair of pliers, too.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.