See-through Suppressor and High Speed Photography

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Rumpshot
Active Shooter

See-through Suppressor and High Speed Photography

Postby Rumpshot » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:13 am

NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona

Mike OTDP
On a list somewhere

Re: See-through Suppressor and High Speed Photography

Postby Mike OTDP » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:37 am

If I were working on a doctorate in Aerospace Engineering, I'd be tempted to take a whack at computational fluid dynamic analysis of a suppressor. Complete with experiments, of course.

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:02 am

That was pretty cool stuff, thanks for posting that!
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.

Netpackrat
Probably Unemployed

Postby Netpackrat » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:39 am

Mike OTDP wrote:If I were working on a doctorate in Aerospace Engineering, I'd be tempted to take a whack at computational fluid dynamic analysis of a suppressor. Complete with experiments, of course.

You'd basically need to get an 07/02 for that to be at all practical, given that ATF's position that an approved Form 1 is NOT a license to experiment with different baffle designs, etc. You are supposed to build it, and then not do anything to it. You are not even allowed to make replacement parts for it in the event of a baffle strike; you have to send the can that YOU built to an 07/02 for repair.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop

308Mike

Postby 308Mike » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:26 pm

VERY COOL!!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad

Combat Controller
Superuser

Postby Combat Controller » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:47 am

I have some ideas that either I will explore if the new suppressor bill gets passed or once I get a SOT in the next year.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.

HTRN
Probably Unemployed

Postby HTRN » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Mike OTDP wrote:If I were working on a doctorate in Aerospace Engineering, I'd be tempted to take a whack at computational fluid dynamic analysis of a suppressor. Complete with experiments, of course.

Its been tried, it just doesnt model well, because of extremely high pressure and extremely short duration.
EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Return to “Guns and Shooting”