Newest Minion and Handguns

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
First Shirt

Re: Newest Minion and Handguns

Post by First Shirt »

One of the problems with lightweight 1911s is that some hollowpoints try to dig in on the feed ramp, and the aluminum frame just doesn't stand up to that sort of beating. The Ruger LWs have a titanium feed ramp, that is apparently cast into the aluminum frame. (Ruger does a lot of work with titanium castings, making knee, hip and shoulder replacements. It's apparently quite a thing for the company.)

Anyway, for the older Minions, that was a big selling point, and more than made up for the fact that it's a two-tone gun. (Of course, that's fixable.)
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

Strong work in the early purchase of that. She will be thrilled I am sure.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
Combat Controller
Site Admin

First Shirt wrote:One of the problems with lightweight 1911s is that some hollowpoints try to dig in on the feed ramp, and the aluminum frame just doesn't stand up to that sort of beating. The Ruger LWs have a titanium feed ramp, that is apparently cast into the aluminum frame. (Ruger does a lot of work with titanium castings, making knee, hip and shoulder replacements. It's apparently quite a thing for the company.)

Anyway, for the older Minions, that was a big selling point, and more than made up for the fact that it's a two-tone gun. (Of course, that's fixable.)
Or in some, a ramped barrel. My Kimber Royal Carry has that, and my Nighthawk Custom S&W 1911 is Scandium to get around that.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Only problem with a ramped barrel is that it limits your options if you decide to change/upgrade it. You have to find one with an identical ramp, which might be tricky, or find one that you can make fit.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Combat Controller
Site Admin

First Shirt wrote:Only problem with a ramped barrel is that it limits your options if you decide to change/upgrade it. You have to find one with an identical ramp, which might be tricky, or find one that you can make fit.
I get around that by buying another 1911.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Combat Controller wrote:
First Shirt wrote:Only problem with a ramped barrel is that it limits your options if you decide to change/upgrade it. You have to find one with an identical ramp, which might be tricky, or find one that you can make fit.
I get around that by buying another 1911.
Well, I guess that's one way to approach it, if you can afford it! :lol:
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Belt and holster arrived today. Very nice, right-handed crossdraw, and the belt has plenty of "growing room" in it. (She saw Madeline Stowe in Bad Girls and thinks that rig would be perfect for "a Ruger like Papa's".) So, who am I to argue, at this point?
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Presents delivered yesterday, complete with labels that clearly stated "Do NOT Open Before Christmas."

Her mom tells me that she got them opened, and proceeded to belt on her new hogleg, and head outside (in 28 degree (F) weather), barefooted, and wearing a belted-on sixgun and her jammies, to practice her draw in the back yard.

The Minion has called three times today to thank me, tell me how cool it is, and ask when I can come up for a range session so she can "break it in."

I'm gonna score this Christmas as a win!
Last edited by First Shirt on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

First Shirt wrote:I'm gonna score this Christmas as a win!
I would CERTAINLY say so!!! GREAT JOB!!! :D 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Nice!