Newest Minion and Handguns

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
First Shirt

Re: Newest Minion and Handguns

Post by First Shirt »

So, I added a steel ejector-rod housing, and a bullseye ejector rod, a Belt Mountain base pin, and tweaked the front sight for windage and elevation. Groups are centered at 50 yards, and running about 4 inches when fired from a sandbag rest on a good bench.

It's about as done as it's gonna get! Hope she likes it.
birdshead (1024x768).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

Beauty!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Greg

Post by Greg »

That is pretty sweet.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

a Belt Mountain base pin,
How you like that so far? I've given it a ponder in the past but not acted on it (so many other backlogged projects). Have a couple issues with heavy loads in my 45 old Model Vaquero early one when I was playing more with heavy loads. None since I've chilled out a bit and gone mostly to shooting more traditional recipes.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

That's a pretty standard Ruger single-action mod, especially if you're going to be shooting heavy loads. But it also helps the cylinder to index correctly, since it's about .002 oversized. I can't swear that it improves accuracy, but I think it does, a little. And it definitely keeps the base pin in place when shooting thumper loads.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

She just might be able to EDC that. Even if not, you will have immortality everytime she uses it and thinks of you. Loved the entire thread. Well Done, Gramps!
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Thank you!

She tickles me with her "I can do anything the big girls do" attitude. And the only thing she's scared of is that someone, somewhere, will think she's scared of something, and Lord forgive me, I probably encourage that! So I guess this is sort of a self-inflicted injury. :lol:
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

First Shirt wrote:So, the two elder Minions want Ruger LW SR1911 Commander length 1911's for graduation presents, in June of 2018. Not a problem, got the first one in the works, and the second one is shortly behind it.
Really thinking that this is what I am going to buy myself for my 45th birthday in February. I'm not super keen on stainless, but it hits all the other marks. (LW frame, dovteail sights, flared rather than sharp grip safety) So very interested in your impressions.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I'm actually pretty impressed with Ruger's 1911s. Fit and finish is good, and they seem to be pretty reliable out of the box. I ran a couple hundred rounds through the first one, and there were a couple of misfeeds in the first 50 rounds, but after that, no worries. Of course, I stripped and cleaned it first, and used some Slipstream lubricant on the contact surfaces, which went a long way toward smoothing it out.

None of us are big fans of two-tone handguns, so I'm having the slide cera-koted to match the frame. Replacing the factory sights with night sights (XS Big Dots if I can get the right front sight), adding an ambi safety and putting slim grips on it.

I'll probably be doing the second one the same way, unless there's a major flaw in my carefully thought-out plan.
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I bought a Ruger SR1911 a while back because every man need a 1911 and you can run over Rugers with your truck.

Fun enough, but I don't think the bug bit me.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D