Wife gun suggestions?

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Darrell

Re: Wife gun suggestions?

Post by Darrell »

If racking the slide is an issue, find and try a Grand Power. They cycle easily, due to the rotary action.

The latest issue of Guns & Ammo has a neat little revolver from NAA--it's a .22 wmr called the Earl, bigger than their little derringer style guns. Here it is with its cousins the Sheriff and Hogleg:

https://northamericanarms.com/product-c ... rl-hogleg/

G&A said it runs $300 or so, you can also get it with a .22 lr swappable cylinder.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

How about a Makarov? Reasonable power and good for small hands.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

If racking the slide is an issue, I am not sure that a straight blowback design and its accompanying heavy recoil spring is the answer.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Also try the sig p250/320. Theyre some of the easier racking slides out there. Personally I think the Sig 250'is one of the best new user 9mm semi's out there. Has a nice revolver like double action. Long but not heavy, very smoothe. Fairly easy slide, light recoil and accurate. Just sig fans hate the revolver like trigger; its not good for competitions.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

I have a neice who is a petite little thing, who had not shot until she got married. Her husband got her a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45. She loves it, is deadly with it and learned to rack the slide using both hand/arms. Basically hold the slide with one hand and push the gun through with the strong arm.

Since I have convinced another lady to try the same Kimber in 9mm and she really likes it as well.

The hold the slide and push the gun seems to work well for a lot of ladies.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

Glock 42
Kahr CT380
Bersa BPCC 380
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:Surprised about the 686.... it's heavy enough that .38 is really gentle.
I was, too. Given that she'd shot an SP101 years before with no trouble, I'm thinking it was the surprise of the trigger and the fact that she had not shot for so long.
I think you might be going about things a little backwards. Smaller semis need much stiffer recoil springs (goes double for blowback), plus have less slide surface to grip. Recipe for frustration. Go a little bigger maybe, and (in case you aren't already) stick with 9mm instead of .40, for recoil and recoil spring purposes. A medium sized polymer 9 might work......

That and as SA suggested, racking technique can make up for a lot.
I'll try a little bigger. She was shooting .380. I don't own .40. Thinking back, I can't remember if she actually tried the CZ 75 PCR. That might be the ticket for grip and weight, though the slide is small.

Several people have mentioned the racking technique. I hadn't thought of that, so hadn't tried it.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

FelixEstrella wrote:How about a Makarov? Reasonable power and good for small hands.
My oldest daughter absolutely loves my EG Mak. I may not get it back. I'll give that a try with the other one.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Why not a .327 Magnum revolver? I carry a .38 snubbie or a SCCY (copy of Glock 26), depending on dress and mood. Of course, I'm a big guy and don't have slide issues. I have the .38 just because I prefer the ergonomics of a revolver, but a wheel gun might be your answer.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Start her with a Desert Eagle in 50AE, then when she switches to anything else it will seem light and easy.