LaRue Ultimate AR upper kit

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Rich Jordan

LaRue Ultimate AR upper kit

Post by Rich Jordan »

Link

Put together a complete LaRue Stealth 2.0 style upper parts kit or assembled and tested. 5.56, 6.5 Grendel, or .300 BO in various barrel lengths, black, FDE, UDE.

You have to buy all the parts to make an upper; can't just buy the upper and BCG but no barrel, etc. Including getting a LaRue MBT trigger and their flash hider/suppressor adapter.

Each added component is $99 (plus a charge for colors other than black), so for LaRue, this is pretty cheap pricing.

No info on if these are going to ship right away or be weeks or longer. If you need to know please call LaRue. I hope its delayed until September myself due to big bills here the last two months.
Rich Jordan

Re: LaRue Ultimate AR upper kit

Post by Rich Jordan »

I'm allergic to new calibers, but this has me thinking about it. The Grendel is a better long range round, and more versatile for hunting, but its expensive; both loaded ammo and cases are pricey, though the bullets at least are a standard size. Also needs different magazines, which are not that cheap. However I do not currently have a true 'precision' long range rifle for that glorious day when we retire and flush illinois. I know the M1s can reach out and touch someone at 600-1000 yards if the shooter is really really good, but it isn't a long range tack driver. The 6.5 would meet that spec but at a higher cost once put into use. Another expensive scope to buy!

5.56, I do not need another one. Do NOT need another one. Got a 20" heavy with a great scope, got a 16" lighter weight with a good red dot. No mas.

So thinking about the .300BO. Its interesting, it can use basic bullets I already have a good supply of because I've reloaded .30-06 for years, along with a supply of lighter .30 bullets that I never got around to trying in the big rifles. Same AR magazines. However in ill annoy so I can't count on being able to add a suppressor to get up to legal length (even if HPA passes, unless it specifically overrides state bans) so it would have to be the 16" barrel.

Open to thoughts on the various caliber and barrel choices if anyone visits the page. If I order it will be today; I don't want to risk them running out.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

A few people who ordered assembled uppers have shipping notices already, and LaRue indicates they're going to get these out the door pretty quickly. Mark LaRue is 'keeping track' of who orders these, so speculation is lowers may be offered down the road; for now though you get to use your own.

So I'm getting the 16" .300BO. Can't do suppressors in IL, don't want to pin/weld a long muzzle brake/adapter on a 14.5" barrel, and don't want the hassle of SBR paperwork now (we're moving to a free state down the road; maybe then).

So whats a good muzzle device for .300BO carbine? Does it vary based on if you go mostly heavy bullet subsonic or lighter supersonic (again, assume no suppressor)? I'd like to avoid hurting folks in neighboring lanes with the redirected blast, and could do without some of that myself. Straight flash-hider? Linear comp? Or, since what I've read is that muzzle flash is not a major issue with this caliber, just a thread protector? The LaRue piece is fairly sizeable and a little heavy since it is a brake and the adapter for their Tranquilo suppressor.

Thanks

Rich
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

If starting from scratch, I wouldn't go with AAC's 51T system as a suppressor mount again, but they now make the "Blastout" for it, which is a blast redirector/linear comp that fits over one of their 51T flash hiders or brakes. Would give you the best of each world...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUIlk7WBAlI

There's a similar setup you can do using Silencerco hardware which may be marginally better, but it will be a lot more expensive. They make a blast deflector that will fit one of their MAAD units for the Saker line of silencers, but while the deflector is not too expensive, the MAAD units do not come cheap. But for somebody heavily invested in Silencerco parts it may be a good option.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Heh, at this point I'm finding myself invested in LaRue parts. Getting on the BuildAR list inadvertently) has been expensive, and I still wish I had had more cash that first quarter (up to 6 uppers could be purchased). Barring federal magic, suppressors aren't going to happen in illannoy before I leave the state, and by then who knows if an adapter/base/whatever purchased now will be a good choice for suppressors in 4-5 years.

I did see some of the blast redirector options, and I had been leaning towards an inline suppressor (Kaw Valley?) on a .223 for range use after getting pounded (and my lane neighbors along with me) by a brake. It was significantly worse than shooting an M1 at the same range.

Thanks for the info.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Honestly the way things are going these days, a lot of current silencer manufacturers are not going to be in business in 1-2 years, let alone 4-5. I hope Silencerco manages to survive, since they made 3 out of the 4 cans that I own, and I'd like to still be able to get service and accessories. My other can is by AAC, and as I said I don't really recommend their mounting system (at least for cans, I think it would do a good job for what you want) but I suspect they have a better chance of weathering the storm simply by being part of Freedom Group/Remington.

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I guess we'll find out. I expect LaRue to survive since they have side business with the military, not just firearms (and their supressors are a small part of the firearm side). So depending on how things go I might be looking for a Tranquilo in a few years, and it would probably still fit the adapter I'm getting with this upper, if I keep it (the adapter). Of course by then I might want and also be able to get a shorter barrel too, so for now this new upper/gun is strictly its own reason for having a muzzle device for my current usage.

I'm getting new gun jitters already. I want to play with a new cartridge even though I hate adding new cartridges...

Still need to choose an optical sight for it too...
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Looks like the price has come way down on the scope I am using for blk:

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-1-5-6x42mm ... B00I1EXXUQ

That's still over twice what I paid for the one on my SBR, but a little less than what I paid 8 months ago for the one on my bolt action. They aren't really a "tactical" scope but the glass is pretty clear, and the reticle isn't too bad. Downsides are the UMC load it was designed for has been discontinued, but the replacement UMC load is still a decent match for it. The reticle (despite Nikon calling it the "supersub") is only set up for supersonic loads anyway, and I mostly run subs. You just have to experiment and figure out which holdovers to use for subs at the ranges you are shooting.

Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Initially it'll be at a 50 yard indoor range. Thats all I'll have time for for at least a month; work is eating weekends. Hopefully will get time to go outdoors to a 100+ a couple of times before the weather turns (2 hour drive; chicago killed all the closer ranges). So I might just have a red-dot on it to start and I have a couple of options for that.

Thanks for the suggestion.. I had looked at the M-223 Nikon before, and it did seem like a nice scope (but Cabelas screwed me on a backorder so I went for a totally different scope on the light AR).
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Another new sale at LaRue. They now offer a large frame (7.62x51) complete upper with options, assembled or as a kit, everything you need but the lower and they will offer lowers to buyers of this kit in the future (no price listed)

260 Remington
6.5 Creedmore
.308 Winchester in heavy and lighter barrels

$1200 base cost, options can go higher
$399 option for a Tranquilo suppressor

FYI in case interested

I wish they had done this first; I wanted a 7.62x51 more than a blackout but I can't afford both.