LaRue Ultimate AR upper kit

The place for general discussion about guns, gun (and gun parts) technology discussion, gun reviews, and gun specific range reports; and shooting, training, techniques, reviews and reports.
Weetabix

Re: LaRue Ultimate AR upper kit

Post by Weetabix »

Netpackrat wrote:Honestly the way things are going these days, a lot of current silencer manufacturers are not going to be in business in 1-2 years, let alone 4-5.
I live under a large rock. What's going on, and why will they be out of business?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

On top of that, there's been a lot of churn in the suppressor industry in the last few years. As a 20-year suppressor owner, it's been interesting to watch. The real grenade just got dropped...the new scannable Form 4, which should cut processing time significantly.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

So, let me see if I have this straight:
1. Silencers before NFA: $5 or so in a bucket at the hardware store.
2. NFA happens: nobody buys silencers because why pay $200 to get a $5 item.
3. Time passes, and people rediscover the fun of shooting with silencers.
4. Gov decides to get nastier, so people try to buy lots while the getting is less bad.
5. Silencer companies hire up a bit too heavily and build a bit too many.
6. Other part of .gov tries to suppress (heh) nastier .gov.
7. Market collapses because a) price was based on previous .gov produced price distortion, and b) consumers put on the brakes to wait for Item 6 to bring price back to $5 price level in 2017 dollars. (if it, in fact, happens)

Is that about right?

Even if that's not quite right, I'm still adamantly opposed to government screwing up markets based on teh feelz and a desire to control people.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Weetabix wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Honestly the way things are going these days, a lot of current silencer manufacturers are not going to be in business in 1-2 years, let alone 4-5.
I live under a large rock. What's going on, and why will they be out of business?
41f happened, and HPA was introduced. Which means that anybody who was thinking about buying a silencer, went out and boight all they thought they would ever need in order to avoid the new regs concerning trusts (41f), which was compounded by the hearing protection act which means that anybody who ddidnt panic buy during the 41f frenzy, is now holding off to see if the Hearing Protection act passes. Right now, NOBODY is buying cans, and the dealers/manufacturers are starting to get a bit desperate, which is why there are starting to be some good deals on them(at least compared to prices from before 41f - if the hpa passes, which i seriously doubt, the market will fall out on current manufacturers as sikencers become a commodity item
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

Update on the LaRue small and large frame complete upper sales. They just opened up sale of their own lowers, one per upper purchased. LaRue lowers have been difficult to buy (either someone letting one go or buy a whole rifle for quite a few years). So you can now build a 100% LaRue rifle in either size.

Even the premium makers are having to adapt to the market glut and slowdown in sales.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote:if the hpa passes, which i seriously doubt, the market will fall out on current manufacturers as sikencers become a commodity item
I disagree slightly with this. If HPA passes, a lot of people are going to order silencers right away from whoever has them in stock, which means the established manufacturers will see a short term boost in sales until everybody and their brother with machine tools gets in on the act. The market is going to move quickly to lower end, less expensive cans since it will no longer be a purchase you expect to last for the rest of your life, but with more people buying more cans period, I don't think the sales of the current style of "bulletproof" heavy duty cans will really go down, and they may increase slightly in absolute numbers even as their market share plummets. There's just going to be more cans of all quality levels at all price points, period.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Combat Controller
Site Admin

Post by Combat Controller »

If it passes I think they will still have to have an FFL manufacturing permit to sell but home bulids should be legal a la 80% lowers etc.
Winner of the prestigious Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года award for excellence in rural travel.